Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I fighting a loosing battle or can get DS2 back on the breast?

(5 Posts)
notso Mon 18-Jul-11 15:06:43

I went away for a good friends hen night for two nights about 4 weeks ago, when DS2 was about 6.5 months old.
Have really struggled with expressing this time around so DS2 had mostly formula plus his usual solids.
Tried to pump where possible whilst I was away but only managed about three out of his usual 6-8 feeds and only produced about 2 ounces each side.
When I got back he fed fine for the first feed but for each subsequent feed he either refused to latch on or latched on but began to scream after a few minutes.
I have perservered with offering him the breast but the only time he will properly feed is first thing in the morning. I have tried to pump too but find it hard to fit in with having two older DC and being in the middle of a massive house renovation.
I feel sad and guilty that feeding has ended this way, and also upset that everyone around me seems to think it's for the best.

notso Mon 18-Jul-11 15:07:46

Have to go and meet DS1 now, that took me ages to write!

TruthSweet Mon 18-Jul-11 16:41:00

nNotso - I so sorry bfing is feeling so precarious for you at the moment. It sounds like you feel quite alienated when you want people to commiserate with you/help you to continuw but instead they are pleased that bfing is 'ending'.

The fact that your DS is still bfing in the morning is a good sign, have you tried feeding him in the night when he wakes or when he wakes from a nap?

Kellymom has some good information on nursing strikes and ways to get baby back to the breast here.

Is there a bfing support group (e.g. Surestart/La Leche League/NCT) local to you? In my experience they will be willing to support you regardless of your son's age (I know a lot of mothers feel they are just for newborns not older babies).

Albrecht Mon 18-Jul-11 16:45:13

It doesn't have to be the end if you don't want it to be. Breasfeeding is still good for him and you. And the World Health Organisation recommend feeding until atleast 2 even for babies in developed countries.

Kellymom has some good stuff on nursing strikes. Do you think feeds first thing because he is a bit sleepy and relaxed - can you try latching him on before and after naps? The more he sucks the more it will stimulate your supply if it has dropped.

But even if it is the end, you don't have to feel guilty about it - you've given him so much, a lot more breastmilk than many babies get. I think the breastfeeding helplines should be able to help you talk you through your feelings about ending or not. Good luck.

notso Wed 20-Jul-11 11:38:31

Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately DS has also stopped feeding first thing now too, he has started biting my nipple when I try to latch him on, thankfully he has no teeth yet.
DH can't understand why I want to carry on this time when I had stopped with my older two by now (due to terrible health visitor advice).
My Mum thinks I should be thankful as both my sister and I fed until we were two, refusing all bottles, cups etc. MiL thinks I am being too clingy and need to let her look after DS2 more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now