Advanced search

Thrush - who do I go to see?

(4 Posts)
schmee Sun 17-Jul-11 15:33:12

I think I have breastfeeding thrush. Does anyone know whether I should see the midwife or the GP about this? I never know which one to contact about what.

Thanks very much!

gallicgirl Sun 17-Jul-11 15:38:55

Your MW can confirm it and maybe call through to surgery for a prescription but you will have to get a prescription from the doc.

The breastfeeding network website has info about different drugs that can be used:

There is one called something like fluoconizole which isn't licensed but some docs will prescribe it as it is much more effective than other antibiotics. Also, get to the GP tomorrow if you can as it can get worse quite quickly if not treated.

aswellasyou Sun 17-Jul-11 17:03:19

I'd just go to your GP, but make sure the recetionist takes it seriously-it can get worse in a couple of hours and is excrutiating. Don't wait to see your midwife. If you can call her/him, they can press for an appointment asap.

Definitely push for a decent dose (a fortnight or more) of fluconazole. I lived with thrush for five months because I was being given just Canesten and I didn't need to. You should also get a cream for your nipples and a suspension for your baby's mouth.

schmee Sun 17-Jul-11 17:16:16

thank you guys - I'll call the GP first thing tomorrow

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: