Talk

Advanced search

Breast pumps...do I splurge?

(12 Posts)
MonkeeMummy Sun 17-Jul-11 00:31:41

I foolishly gave away my electric breast pump after I finished breastfeeding DC2. Am now expecting DC3 in a few weeks and have just bought a manual Tommy Tippee pump because I didn't really want to splurge on an electric one (again!)... But being able to pump the milk a couple of days really helped keep my milk high. Do the manual ones work OK... or should I splurge? Any advice please would be welcomed.

Shanster Sun 17-Jul-11 02:41:13

Splurge, the manual ones are terrible.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 17-Jul-11 08:51:29

Different pumps suit different people so you might find it ok. If I've read your post right you only want to pump for a couple of days, is that right? If so, could you try borrowing one?

MonkeeMummy Sun 17-Jul-11 09:42:42

Thanks, I read the reviews on Mumsnet yesterday about the Tommy Tippee pump and although it was very cheap and on sale, I'm not convinced it can do the job. I pump a couple of times a day (sorry, wrote it wrong) - using the Gina Ford routine - so I guess I need an electric one. Can't believe I gave my Ameda away. Thanks ladies.

EauRouge Sun 17-Jul-11 09:51:09

I find hand expressing much easier than using a pump. It took a bit of practice but it saves a lot of money and sterilising! This video might be helpful.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 17-Jul-11 10:00:27

Following the GF routine is fine if thats what you want to do but don't forget that the best thing for keeping your milk up is feeding your baby smile

incyspider Sun 17-Jul-11 10:55:04

I bought the Tommy Tippee manual pump and it worked great for me.

I would however get a bit of hand cramp and used it everyday so thought I'd invest in the electric one. It turned out to be a huge waste of money. After been able to get 4oz with manual in 20 mins or less, I struggle to get 1oz with the electric one (this was in 40mins ouch).

Yesmynameis Sun 17-Jul-11 11:59:39

I've used manual and electric and found pros and cons to both.

Manual allows you more flexibility to pump at exactly the right speed which suits you and is very portable around the house.

Electric allows me to forget about the pump and watch corrie smile

Hand expressing worked better for me in the early days.

Have you considered hiring an electric pump instead of buying one?

Bella2010star Sun 17-Jul-11 21:12:21

Used my medela swing was great but wish I brought a double pump as expressing at work would of been easier.

naturalbaby Sun 17-Jul-11 21:15:26

i only ever had a manual avent one and once i'd got the hang of it and the best time to use it i could get loads out - 4 or 5oz's.

MonkeeMummy Thu 21-Jul-11 11:42:12

Been offline for a couple of days (painting kitchen) but just wanted to say thank you for the advice. Think I'll try my bargain Tommy Tippee and send DH for electric one if I needed. Thanks again.

EmbroideredCloth Fri 22-Jul-11 21:56:08

I used the medela swing until milk backflowed up the tubing and into the pump. I then tried the manual harmony while the swing dried and found that I preferred the harmony. It's quieter, easy to use and no need to worry about backflow. I didn't experience any hand cramps or tiredness, it's a lever action that's very easy to perform.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now