Talk

Advanced search

Nipple not out nd want to breastfeed

(7 Posts)
Teetai Sat 16-Jul-11 22:35:55

Am almst to term. 38wks along now and my nipples are retracted. Want to breastfeed naturally. Is it still possible?

TruthSweet Sat 16-Jul-11 22:53:28

Obviously no one can give you an iron clad promise that you will be able to breast feed but generally inverted/flat nipples don't stop a baby from breastfeeding (clue - it's called breast not nipple feeding wink).

Getting in contact with local bfing support before baby is born and getting to know where/who to go to for help/support can be very helpful as can reading up on sites like www.kellymom.com or www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/ or www.abm.me.uk or www.laleche.org.uk/.

tallulah Sat 16-Jul-11 22:54:48

Yes.

I have inverted nipples and have BF 5 babies. It does take more work to get the baby latched on and you may find you get very sore, but once BF is established the nipples will stay out.

BluddyMoFo Sat 16-Jul-11 22:58:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shuckleberryfinn Sun 17-Jul-11 10:27:29

I had one inverted nipple. It stayed that way through feeding my son, now 6. This time through feeding it's popped out and stayed that way. You wont know till you try but in most cases it's definitely possible.

Tarlia Sun 17-Jul-11 12:03:10

Do you mean flat or inverted? My nipples were flat unless cold/arroused, but since breastfeeding, they are no longer this way ever. It has never been a problem for us, LO is 5.5 months.

Good luck!

Meglet Sun 17-Jul-11 12:18:09

Mine are flat and I used to squidge them into a sort of point then post them in dd's mouth. It did mean she got a proper mouthful of breast and I never got sore, which might be luck but it worked for us. However we never managed to crack it without me holding my breast, even at 4mo I still needed to do it which made it a PITA when we were out and about. But the early days were fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now