Talk

Advanced search

Sicky baby...thoughts on sma staydown please

(7 Posts)
clarebear1 Sat 16-Jul-11 17:28:48

My ds is 4 months old and constantly is sick, thinking of changing his milk to maybe sma staydown or if anyone can recommend another. Hes atm on sma gold.

Thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 16-Jul-11 19:12:42

Is there a particular reason your DS is being so sick clarebear?

CamperFan Sat 16-Jul-11 20:26:56

My DS2 is ebf, but until around 4 months he was sick after every feed, and in-between too. However, I discussed it with the GP and as he was happy and thriving, we didn't need to give him anything and gradually by 4 months-ish, it calmed down. He's nearly 9 months now and hardly ever sick. So, your baby could just be a sicky baby, but you should probably discuss it with your GP before switching formula (not sure if this could upset his tummy, although formula is all pretty much the same? Have never heard of "stay down", was not around when my DS1 was a baby I don't think - surely all formulas should be designed to "stay down"!)

clarebear1 Sat 16-Jul-11 22:23:07

Yeh ill prob discuss it with doctor before, health visitor will prob say hes putting on weight so hes fine.

He has approx 6 ounces every 3-4 hours and in that time he constantly brings little bits up. He usually brings up quite a bit when he first burps after bottle too. The amount of bibs i go through in a day is unbelievable, hes never not got one on.

His weight is good tho ill add.

cheekyginger Sun 17-Jul-11 18:52:47

Hi Clarebear1

I started a thread about my DS."Carobel worked wonders for my sicky baby" He has been classed as a "sicky" baby. Not reflux therefore no need for gaviscon. People that dont have a sicky baby dont really appreciate that its really hard work.

My wee one is C and G and i add cow and gate carobel. Its a natural thickener that you can get on prescription or get your pharmacist to order it. You can probably add it too any formula doesnt have to be cow and gate. I've heard that the stay down stuff can a major pain the you know what to make up.

It really has made a huge difference. He still brings up a little bit but a much more normal amount. Rather than soak through 2 muslins and a bib and all over mums clothes amount. He's been on it 3 days now and isnt constipated and is only a teeny weeny bit sick.

Would be worth making sure though that he doenst have an allergy to cows milk etc as that can cause sickness.

CamperFan Mon 18-Jul-11 08:32:43

Clare, yes if he is happy and his weight is fine, then they will probably not do anything. I agree that it is a major pain in the ass - I used to be paranoid about anyone picking him up incase he barfed all over them, had to buy loads of extra bibs, etc and because I was bfing, had no idea how mch he was having. One thing I did do though, was drop an oz of milk over my kitchen counter so that I could see that actually it looked like far more than it was, iyswim. Try it! And like I said, he grew out of it completely.

clarebear1 Wed 20-Jul-11 21:55:26

Update:

I bought sma staydown yesterday so have been using it for 2 days and it sure is hard work! Sickness hasnt improved either,although i werent expecting too much change after 2 days.

Im tempted to go back on to sma gold and seeing the doc to see if he can prescribe gaviscon or that thickener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now