Talk

Advanced search

Bottle for EBM- fast let down.

(7 Posts)
Secondtimelucky Sat 16-Jul-11 14:38:58

I never got the hang of expressing with DD1. I was useless with the handpump, she hated the bottle, I couldn't be bothered.

Now we have DD2 (one month old), I want to make a bit more of an effort. I fed DD1 to 21 months (when she self weaned when my milk dried up in pregnancy) and would like to do roughly the same again. With two, I think it would be handy if DD2 would take a bottle from time to time. It'll probably be a couple of times a week max, but there might be the odd half day where it's all feeds.

I've invested in an electric pump, but now I'm wondering about bottles/teats. I just had some bog standard Avent with DD1 but I think she actually found the first stage teats frustrating. I know the normal advice is to go with a slow flow for a breastfed baby, but I have a very fast let down and high supply. Anyone else had this and what did you do?

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 20:59:31

Hi secondtimelucky smile

I also have a VERY fast let down and I gave DD the slow teats when she was the same age as your DC. Wanted to make her work for it so she wouldn't get lazy. She's 16 weeks now and although she stopped taking a bottle (didn't give her one for 2 weeks - big mistake!!) I've jut managed to dream feed her with a slow flow teat but it did take forever so she's prob ready for a medium now.

I use the medela swing pump/ bottles/ teats. Much easier as they all join together so no extra washing / sterilising!

Secondtimelucky Sat 16-Jul-11 21:14:14

Thanks. Interesting that the slow flow wasn't a problem for you. I guess I'll go for it and see what happens.

alewVera Sat 16-Jul-11 21:31:57

I also had a fast let down with both dd's and used a fast teat, as slow flow just frustrated them.

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 17-Jul-11 09:14:56

Why not go for a variflow? Think it's the harder they suck the more they get so imitates bf better

Secondtimelucky Sun 17-Jul-11 11:26:23

I hadn't heard of those (clueless). I'll look, thanks!

shuckleberryfinn Sun 17-Jul-11 11:31:26

I have calma. Expensive but I love them, baby sucks, baby gets milk. Mind we've used all sorts anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now