Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Expressing and breast shape

(7 Posts)
TimeWasting Sat 16-Jul-11 10:04:30

I'm reading up on breast pumps atm, due in Oct but want to have the details ready for when I want to order the pump.

I have fat, floppy breasts with big nipples that point right downwards and with DS wasn't able to hand express more than drops, though he was bf exclusively. I never tried to pump though.

Getting a good latch and positioning was very difficult to start with, and I'm wondering if the same issues with breast shape would apply to breast pumps?

japhrimel Sat 16-Jul-11 10:06:20

No, except that you might need a large size nipple funnel (medium is standard). Medela definitely do different size pump parts.

TimeWasting Sat 16-Jul-11 10:40:43

Ooh, yes, that's good to know, thank you.

shuckleberryfinn Sat 16-Jul-11 17:58:43

Ameda do too. I have 32-35Mm flanges. The standard is 25 I think. I've not found a manual pump with customfit flanges though.

SleepySuzy Sat 16-Jul-11 18:01:38

I think you'd be fine with the medela. It worked really well for me. Only thing is, stubborn DD won't take a bottle sad

TimeWasting Sat 16-Jul-11 22:00:15

Sorry to hear that Sleepy. I think we're always told that babies will love bottles/formula etc, so it's a bit confused when actually, they prefer the boob after all.

Anyone else have any knowledge/experience of expressing with a pump if one has awkard breasts?

TruthSweet Sat 16-Jul-11 22:12:15

Ardo also do different sizes - the 'Individual' Set comes with 28, 31 & 36mm sizes, the pumps themselves seem to come with 26/28/31mm breastshells.

This shows you what to look for in a breast pump to see if it fits properly.

I have to say as someone who expressed for a long time with a ill fitting breastpump, it can do damage and permanently change your breast tissue/nipples/areola (well, perhaps not permanent but it's been 5 years and they haven't changed back!) so choose carefully and don't continue to express if it hurts or makes you sore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now