Talk

Advanced search

How easily does milk dry up?

(4 Posts)
hiccymapops Fri 15-Jul-11 12:44:10

I'm just generally wondering. I know it must take a lot for your supply to stop. Today I'm really stressed/upset, and the thought of food is making me feel sick, but I'm breastfeeding dd, so I know I've obviously got to try and eat something, but it just made me wonder as I've heard of milk supply drying up when people are unwell/stressed.

jaggythistle Fri 15-Jul-11 13:21:47

What you eat/drink will make no difference to your supply, just to how hungry or thirsty you feel smile Peolple can bf even when quite malnourished, your body just prioritises the milk.

I have heard that stress can sometimes affect letdown, but again can't make you 'dry up'.

Hope that makes you feel less worried smile

hiccymapops Fri 15-Jul-11 13:26:29

Thank you smile Yes it does, I was nattering about it.

japhrimel Fri 15-Jul-11 15:25:24

IME, the only time that this may not be the case is in the first 2 weeks if baby isn't feeding properly and so supply is really not well established. My DD was in SCBU at first and then mostly had top-ups to start with and I found that exhaustion, dehydration and low blood sugar affected my supply - or maybe just how much I could pump.

Now DD is 7mo and still bf, I can go without food half the day and I may feel like I'm going to pass out but DD stills gets loads of milk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now