Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm running out!!

(12 Posts)
bigredtractor Fri 15-Jul-11 11:17:10

Hi,

I have a 9 month old, BF from birth with no other milks- never took bottles either, but that's a different story..!

He's a v good eater- 3 meals per day, plus snacks if needed. We're down to 2 boob feeds per day (DS dropped the feeds gradually) - first thing in the morning and last thing befre bed time. He has plenty of water, diluted juice etc but no other milk drinks.

I checked with the HV (wrote a diary of what he ate & drank over 4 days) and she assured me it's fine- he has a milky breakfast, plenty of yoghurt, cheese, etc.

BUT, it now feels like my supply is running out. I don't get that tingly let down reflex anymore and it doesn't feel like much is coming out ( though DS will happilly suck away for 10+ mins).

Not really sure what to do - do you think this is us reaching a natural end point and if so, should I give him other milk as well or instead?

Cosmosis Fri 15-Jul-11 11:23:23

Is he still doing proper suck and swallow? It is really common to stop feeling the let down feelings, so don’t use that as an indicator. If he is still sucking and swallowing and is happy on the breast, that is a much better indicator. I’m sure he would let you know if there really was a problem!

tiktok Fri 15-Jul-11 11:30:42

Agree with cosmosis. Everything you say - lack of a let down feeling and lack of a feeling that there is much coming out - is consistent with established bf of an older baby. It may be that your supply is low, but that's not an issue nutritionally as he is eating well.

If you are worried then you can offer the breast more often. But many women of babies this age and older continue for quite a long time on 2 feeds a day - the production line ticks along forever smile

bigredtractor Fri 15-Jul-11 11:32:24

The let down tingle has gone v recently- as in te last few days. He definitely isn't swallowing as noticably as he used to which is what is making me question the volume I'm producing.

He's easily distracted, but then show me a 9 month old that isn't..!

LoonyRationalist Fri 15-Jul-11 11:41:16

I never had a let down tingle, but Tiktok and Cosmosis are right, it is not unusual to lose one you had previously. The feeling of breastfeeding does change over time & at 9 months you are likely to be very very well established.

As you say at 9 months old they are very easily distracted, if there wasn't milk there you would find that he probably wouldn't be interested. Him sucking away for 10+ mins implies to me that there is plenty of milk for him. Don't doubt yourself!!!

RitaMorgan Fri 15-Jul-11 11:53:53

I can't imagine your baby would suck happily for 10 minutes if he wasn't getting anything, especially first thing in the morning when he's hungry.

tiktok Fri 15-Jul-11 11:54:55

tractor - you will certainly be producing less. How could it be otherwise? He used to have breastmilk only; now he has lots of other stuff; production has gone down. Not a big deal. Does not mean you will dwindle to nothing - as I say, very well-established breastfeeding goes on with v. little (comparatively) stimulation, but if you are fretting about it, offer him more breastfeeds. He'll probably take them smile

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 15-Jul-11 12:02:35

bigtractor, of course I agree with everything Tiktok has said (and in fact, you'll be surprised when you do stop how long the breasts keep producing a bit - once you go as long as you have, it's so established that the production line doesn't shut down for AGES). No need to offer other milk.

However, I will also ask, have you recently got your periods back? I found, as did many many of my friends, that once we got our periods back there would be a very noticeable supply drop for the day or two just before each one was due, and then supply would go straight back up again. With a nine month old this didn't signal the need to top up with milk, they just suckled more to compensate or ate more solids. But it's definitely a real phenomenon, so if it's been a very sudden change I thought that might be it for you?

bigredtractor Fri 15-Jul-11 12:30:29

Actually, yes!! First one a week ago, which coincided with a huge jump in DS's appetite, which has now dropped back to normal.

Could that be it?

tiktok Fri 15-Jul-11 12:50:03

Good thinking, tortoise - definitely relevant smile

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 15-Jul-11 13:15:22

<preens>

I reckon that's it, bigred. I noticed because I was expressing when DD was that age (was back at work almost fulltime) and therefore could quantify the difference. And it happened every month until I stopped, like clockwork.

So, yes, nothing to worry about at all. Not running out.

bigredtractor Fri 15-Jul-11 15:03:45

Hurrah smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now