Talk

Advanced search

'You know what breast fed babies are like'

(32 Posts)
picklebum2011 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:41:10

Was the comment made by the health visitor at my dd's 1 year check when i said she does not go through the night. Her comment made me a little angry as i think she was being too generalised, i have friends whose children are similar ages who don't go though yet and they're not all breast fed, am i being too sensitive? She was implying that bf babies were clingier anyone find this to be true? I just think it wasn't very good that someone in her postion was making comments like that.

itsastrawpoll Thu 14-Jul-11 21:42:37

I don't know, presumably she's met quite a lot of babies in her line of work?

Perhaps she was trying to reassure you? IME babies DO sleep for longer stretches at a time when they're formula fed

catsareevil Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:23

I think that its true that breasfed babies dont sleep as much as ff babies. I dont think that its anything to do with being clingy - I think that it is just an effect of the different feeds.

fluffles Thu 14-Jul-11 21:46:13

no, she wasn't saying anything about clinginess, i think your paranoid, she was saying that bf babies need to feed more often and so can't sleep all night as early as some ff babies, this is true.

hermionestranger Thu 14-Jul-11 21:46:18

Both my DS are/were BF and both slept through at 5 days and 3 weeks and by sleep through I mean 12 hours a night.

bluepanda Thu 14-Jul-11 21:48:16

I had a similar comment from someone at DS' nursery - although it wasn't said in a snide way I think it was meant as genuine observation - but she reckoned bf babies were clingier when left at nursery for the first few weeks because they were less likely to have been left for longer periods of time before.
It's an interesting one - how would you know if it is down to being bf or just your little one's nature? My DS2 (13mo) has yet to sleep through the night but his big brother (also bf) was going through quite reliably at that age

suzikettles Thu 14-Jul-11 21:49:11

At 1 year old??? I can't believe that there's statistically any difference between ff and bf babies at this age.

I remember being quite excited about all the extra sleeping ds was going to be doing when he got to 6 months and I gave him some formula sometimes. Made no bloody difference.

Moulesfrites Thu 14-Jul-11 21:50:05

my understanding was that formula is harder to digest than bm, so ff babies are more likely to sleep for longer. Bm is v easy to digest and it is babies' natural sleeping pattern to wake for frequent feeds? But, if your DD is 1, presumably she is established on solids and so not waking due to hunger? Or did the hv mean she is in the habit of waking as she is bf?

I know plenty of ff babies who are rubbish sleepers. My ds is nearly 6mo and ebf and is nowhere near sleeping through. My sils 2 dds, 14mo and 2 mo were ff from birth and both sleep through - so I use the ebf line to explain why this is, as opposed to my sil being a better mum than me as she likes to believe!

suzikettles Thu 14-Jul-11 21:52:29

Funnily, my hv put ds's "confidence" around other people (he settled very quickly at nursery and was fine being left with other people) down to the fact that he'd been excl bf for 6 months so had a very secure attachment to me.

More bollocks. All babies are different.

picklebum2011 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:52:30

Good points bluepanda, i think every little one is different just like every adult is.
I wasn't moaning about lack of sleep she just asked me as part of the routine questions and i said she generally doesn't sleep through all the time (she has sometimes). i do think a lot is teething at this age as the nights when she wakes up she generally doesn't want the boob she wants comfort....

moaningminniewhingesagain Thu 14-Jul-11 21:54:30

I doubt there are enough babies still BF at 12 months for there to be any evidence either way. Neither of mine slept throught until gone 12 months. One was BF til 2yo, one was FF from 3 months.

Lots of babies take ages to sleep through. I still get woken by one or both of them most nights <knackered>

PuppyMonkey Thu 14-Jul-11 21:55:51

Hermione - five days???? hmm

mo3d Thu 14-Jul-11 21:55:54

All my 3 dds were bf and slept through at different times. dd1 5 months, dd2 7 weeks (she sucked her thumb so was v content), dd3 6 months.

Surely by 1yr the difference in sleeping through between bf and ff is negligable with the food they'd be having as well?

picklebum2011 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:59:09

Lol moaning about knackered comment. I agree witn comments that every lo is different and i agree that bf or ff have nout much to do with sleeping patterns, as like someone mentioned 1 yr olds have plenty of food during the day so are generally not waking due to starvation. I was just astounded at how the hv generalised. My dd has settled with my dh and my mum on occassion so i wouldn't say she was overtly clingy.

wigglesrock Thu 14-Jul-11 22:00:31

I formula fed 3 dds, dd1 slept through at 9 weeks, dd2 at 3.5 years (no, that's not a typo shock) at dd3 is 5 months tomorrow and not sleeping through, formula made no difference in my opinion.

emmanumber3 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:10:25

wiggles I can beat that - my ff DS1 didn't sleep through until he was 5 hmm. DS2 was about 2 weeks old.

houseofheave Thu 14-Jul-11 22:11:45

I FF DS and he didn't sleep through until he was 18 mos. Lovely BF dd slept through at 8 weeks.

As far as I'm concerned its more to do with the baby than how they are fed.

TheRealMBJ Thu 14-Jul-11 22:12:12

There is no actual evidence to the myth that bf babies/toddlers sleep any worse than ff ones. It is a myth perpetuated by formula companies and mother's afraid to tell the truth about their children's sleeping habits.

Interesting summary of normal sleep studies

Most interestingly Goodlin-Jones Et al notes that even at 12 months 50% of infants need parental intervention to get back to sleep.

HipHopOpotomus Thu 14-Jul-11 23:15:22

My bf baby, 10 weeks, currently sleeps throughout the night (( deep joy emotcon )).

Dd1 however woke every 3-4 hours for 14 months.

I've heard "that's what bf babies are like " comment too many times to mention.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 14-Jul-11 23:17:17

envy at hermione. <<scowl>>

grin

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Thu 14-Jul-11 23:22:22

She should meet my niece. 3 years old. Never slept through a night. 100% bottle fed. And she only wants her mum during the night.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 15-Jul-11 08:53:27

moulesfrites ime being established on solid meals doesn not exclude the possibility of a lo being hungry in the night. Ds regularly needed a sanger in the night at 15m. Despite putting it away through the day.

Cosmosis Fri 15-Jul-11 08:59:54

My CM is an ex nursery nurse and she said in her experience bf babies do take longer to settle at childcare, but having said that my ds didn’t take long to settle with her at all so it’s not a rule for all. My bf ds has slept through 4 times (the 4th time was last night, hurrah!) he is 10m.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 15-Jul-11 09:11:26

Your HV shouldn't have said that you are right, it was a careless comment. However I do think you are being a tad sensitive, by 1 year you should be a little more confident in your parenting choices.

As others have said, I think that the studies show that at 1 year solids, ff or bf make no difference to how many times your DD will wake during the night.

If the night wakings are a problem for you ask your HV if they run a sleep clinic or have you tried NCSS?

picklebum2011 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:30:13

Hey Jiltedjohn i'm very confident in my parenting choices just wanted to express that it wasn't appropriate what hv said - as you yourself just said!
I also never said that night times weren't a problem in a previous post i was just responding to hv's general 1 year review check questions.
Your middle paragraph was the reason why i put this post!! Wanted people to agree that every baby is different and that generalised comment about a particular way of feeding shouldn't be made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now