Talk

Advanced search

Expressing at work, I could do with some advice.

(9 Posts)
TribbleWithoutACause Thu 14-Jul-11 21:22:23

Hi

I went back to work this week and expressed some milk for ds (it was a bit of a nightmare but it's over now). Anyway I want to know what's best to do, I need to express two feeds at work. Ds normally take about 4 to 5 oz whilst he's away from me.

When I feed him I normally just feed him off of one boob, but today I struggled to get one feed out of just the one boob and ended up expressing off of both breasts. Given this, would it better to double pump or would this lead to oversupply?

Thanks

TribbleWithoutACause Thu 14-Jul-11 21:25:28

He takes 4 to 5 oz at each feed I meant

Notanexcitingname Thu 14-Jul-11 21:53:02

DS1 only ever took one side (well until 15 months or so!), I still double pumped at work, for just the reasons you describe. No problems smile It's harder expressing at work, out of context with no reminder of child. I used to watch a video of ds1 on my phone; this did help.

Cosmosis Fri 15-Jul-11 12:25:21

I would double pump. Also I agree with above, I watch a video of ds on my phone to stimulate let down, it really helps.

jaggythistle Fri 15-Jul-11 13:43:50

Me too, I flicked through photos on my phone while expressing, and always seemed to need both sides too smile

thesurgeonsmate Fri 15-Jul-11 16:10:21

A video! Wish I'd thought of that! I used photos and sang dd's bedtime lullaby...

Cosmosis Fri 15-Jul-11 16:22:50

video works well because you get him chatting as well smile

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 15-Jul-11 20:13:11

Thank you for your tips, I tried again today and it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Shanster Sat 16-Jul-11 02:52:02

Get a decent double electric pump and you'll be fine. If your supply if pretty well established, you might get away with one expressing session from both sides rather than 2. I pump about 25 ounces a day in 3 sessions, but DS would normally feed 4-5 times in those 12 hours.
If you have a desk job and are pumping at work, I'd highly recommend a 'hands free bra', that way you can keep working and its not so inconvenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now