Talk

Advanced search

painful breast rash

(6 Posts)
EllaBel Thu 14-Jul-11 18:20:55

Has anyone got experience of a red rash during breastfeeding predominating in the latch area but also spread to the areola edges which is not at all itchy but in fact painful and tender like a bruise. Two days on the redness is still pronounced but the skin looks dry and is peeling a bit. Excrutiating during latching on but not painful during feed. No rash on baby (1 week old). Fourth child, not experienced it before. have small experience of mastitis but don't think this is it, breast tender but no hard patches. Really appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks x

SarahScot Thu 14-Jul-11 19:14:06

Sounds like thrush, although not the typical symptoms. Same happened to me. I couldn't understand why my nipples were so red, peeling and excruitiatingly bruised feeling. They stayed like that for a week until all of a sudden it was obvious thrush.

EllaBel Thu 14-Jul-11 19:37:33

I wondered if that was it. No 'white curd' on the baby though. What did you do about it? GP visit or canesten cream - or was there something better while feeding? Did you baby get it? Do you just feed through it?

Thanks for your input!

Pesephone Fri 15-Jul-11 10:05:55

Are you using disposable breast pads? sometimes they can cause dermatitis, rash, eczema etc. As a lot of them use super absorber gell, like in panty liners and nappies. Some people are sensitive to this stuff.

Cosmosis Fri 15-Jul-11 10:22:10

if it is Thrush, this leaflet is very good.

EllaBel Sat 16-Jul-11 22:04:35

thanks Persephone and Cosmosis. Doesn't appear to be thrush as is clearing up but have stopped using Lansinoh so wondering if it might be that? Also am using breast pads but essential so thinking about buying washable.

Thanks for your help. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now