Talk

Advanced search

Frothy formula milk??!!

(5 Posts)
Ba8y1 Thu 14-Jul-11 13:32:52

Hi ladies

I hope someone might be able to either tell me this is normal or advise me on what I am doing wrong!!

My DS was EBF until I started weaning him a couple of weeks ago at 19 weeks, on HV advice and because he really did need it - could sit up unaided etc?

I am going back to work when he is six months, in 4 weeks time, and have decided to substitute his midmorning breast feed with a bottle of formula as this is what he will be getting at nursery.

He has taken both bottle and breast brilliantly since he was a week old and I have regularly given him expressed breast milk with no issues.

Now I know formula is different from breast milk (though I have to say I didn't realise how different the consistency/smell etc was!) but when I give him a bottle of formula as he drinks hundreds of bubbles seem to form in the milk as he sucks so at the end there is still a mass of bubbles in the bottle and also in the teat. He seems to enjoy it so that is not the issue, but he is uncomfortably windy afterwards, much more so than after a bottle of expressed milk - is this supposed to happen??!! I never got bubbles in the expressed breast milk and I'm using exactly the same bottles!

(Phillips Avent bottles and Aptamil formula if that might make any difference!!)

Many thanks for your help! smile

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:03:56

Don't know answer but we had exactly the same - a lot of froth occurred when shaking bottle up, then he created more. No problems for us, but didn't start ffing till 9 months so obviously not the same.

Ba8y1 Fri 15-Jul-11 12:22:05

Thanks Pootles - maybe its just part and parcel of formula feeding?!

Any other experienced formula feeders have this problem? I'm using the pre-made Aptamil cartons - maybe it wouldn't happen with the powder you make up yourself?!

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jul-11 12:33:58

Ah. I used powder, it happened more! As you have to shake bottle for 10 seconds to mix it all up.

breatheslowly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:23:04

If you want the aptamil carton milk to come out without bubbles then snip both of the points of the carton. This allows air into the carton on one side so that the milk can flow freely out of the other side. But I don't find the bubbles a problem for DD who has aptamil cartons for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now