Talk

Advanced search

Ocado contravening the International Code of Marketing Breastmilk substitutes

(10 Posts)
penelopethefrog Thu 14-Jul-11 12:55:39

Grrrr. I liked Ocado. Thinking whether to switch as I saw they had offers on bottles and teats for newborns this month, so I sent in a complaint and got a two line e-mail saying that they meant no offence with the offer.

Which rather misses the point.

I'm not actually an activist on this (well I suppose complaining to Ocado now makes me one), just have three kids now and very nearly stopped breastfeeding the eldest at 2 weeks old, due to difficulty and thank my lucky stars I had the right encouragement to continue, so the more I see incentives to bottlefeed, the grouchier I get about it.

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 14-Jul-11 12:57:02

And? what is your next step?

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:57:08

I thought it only applied to the actual formula?

bullet234 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:58:39

Strictly speaking they could argue that the bottles are also for expressed breastmilk.

peeriebear Thu 14-Jul-11 12:59:27

Surely people use bottles for expressed milk too?

peeriebear Thu 14-Jul-11 12:59:43

X-posts!

LaWeasleyAintWeaselyAnymore Thu 14-Jul-11 13:13:58

Erm. So you can't use bottles for breastmilk then?!

penelopethefrog Thu 14-Jul-11 13:30:21

the WHO code applies to bottles and teats as well as formula. UK law applies only to formula. The reason that the WHO code covers the whole paraphanalia of bottlefeeding is that the use of bottles for ebm is a tiny, tiny proportion, even more so in developing countries where children are much likelier to get sick from lack of breastmilk.

bibbitybobbityhat my next step is probably to switch to tesco or waitrose. I'm just having a complain :-)

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:02:19

Well the developing countries bit obviously doesn't apply to Ocado.

Don't expect tesco to be overly pro-bf i'm afraid. Also think it's not that tiny a proportion that use expressed milk? Maybe not as often.

Can only talk for myself, but in early days i used bottles for ebm when i really needed some sleep, honestly think that was what enabled me to carry on bfing for 9 months.

vj32 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:10:03

I don't use Ocado anyway. They refuse to wrap raw meat separately to other fridge stuff. So they lost a (fussy vegetarian) customer. I questioned this with customer services and they said it was against their policy (despite being more hygenic incase packets split in transit). GGGGrrrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now