Talk

Advanced search

weaning - to soon to drop a feed?

(12 Posts)
Moulesfrites Wed 13-Jul-11 21:57:33

My ds is 24 weeks and for the past week and a half we have been giving him solids as he was showing signs of readiness. We started with breakfast which he took to great so at the weekend we gave him lunch too - he has just been having mashed fruit and veg so far.

Anyway, he is ebf and up until we started the solids I just fed on demand with absolutely no regard for schedules, the clock etc. He probably did develop a bit of a pattern but I didn't really notice as I was just happy to demand feed. But now, with the solids, I am finding it difficult to fit in bf, solids and naps and am having to think more carefully about a schedule. I know you are supposed to give the milk first, and this works fine with breakfast, but somehow every lunchtime I end up feeling as if he is due a milk feed, solid feed and a nap at the same time! If he has the milk feed first he has v little solids and vice versa. I feel as if this lunch bf will be the first one to go, as he has been taking very little anyway, but that will leave him on about 4 milk feeds during the day (and still around 2 at night). Is this enough? Or is it best not to drop milk feeds until they are established on solids including dairy?? It's so confusing as Kellymom says solids should be introduced v slowly, whereas bloody Annabel Karmel says by 6 months they should be on 3 meals, including meat, fish and dairy!!

Also naps - He usually naps about 9.30 and 11.30/12 (annoying 1/2 hour catnaps) but today I managed to push his second one back after his lunch and he had a much longer nap than usual, but was flagging by 5 and we usually do bedtime at 6, so think he might still need a little sleep later in the afternoon? God knows how I will fit in tea!!

Moulesfrites Wed 13-Jul-11 22:00:20

aargh apologies for horrendous typo - too soon, or course!

Moulesfrites Wed 13-Jul-11 22:00:39

*of!

RitaMorgan Wed 13-Jul-11 22:11:03

6 breastfeeds in 24 hours sounds fine to me. I think my ds had about 6 in the day and 2 in the night at 5 months, and by 6 months had 5 in the day and 1 in the night, plus 2-3 meals. The lunchtime/midday one was the first to go at about 7 months I think but he's kept up 4 a day since (dropped the night feed at 8 months).

I wouldn't get too hung up on timings - if breastfeeding him before his nap and then offering food afterwards works better do that. 3 meals a day is just a cultural construct, it isn't vital for his health - 2 meals or 4 meals is fine too.

threefeethighandrising Wed 13-Jul-11 22:19:12

Anna Karmel wants to make money out of you - she sells books on baby food, and a range of beby food products.

Kelly Mom is not trying to make money out of you. She publishes free "Evidence-based information on breastfeeding and parenting issues."

I know who's advice I'd rather follow.

DuelingFanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 22:19:39

I am interested in this too. DS is almost 7 months and was EBF. I am giving him two 'meals' a day, it might be breakfast and lunch or breakfast and dinner but we are doing a mixture of BLW and spoonfeeding and it's hard to see how much he is actually having. I breastfeed on demand and am going back to work in 2.5 months (he will be just over 9 months) so am mindful that he will maybe need to be dropping day feeds, is that right? I seem to be in the same place as you Moulesfrites, although DS feeds quite a lot at night still.

threefeethighandrising Wed 13-Jul-11 22:19:41

*baby food products

threefeethighandrising Wed 13-Jul-11 22:20:24

Link to www.kellymom.com - a great resource for info on BF.

threefeethighandrising Wed 13-Jul-11 22:26:51

We went with the idea of "food for fun until they're one".

So as long as DS was getting the chance to have as much breast milk as he needed, we didn't worry about nutrition. We offered food but it was really up to him if he wanted to eat it or not.

He's a good eater now (2.5), and big for his age.

Personally I wouldn't start dropping feeds yet.

3 meals by the time they're 6 months? If the idea is that they're meant to be eating that instead of milk that makes me quite angry actually, if that's true then it seems to me as if she's either more interested in selling her products that the health of the child, or badly informed.

DuelingFanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 22:44:39

I am guessing I will have to express enough for him to have at least a couple of feeds in the day? Trouble is, as I breastfeed and I am new to Weaning I have no idea how much that should be. Presumably eating solids will mean that he will need less milk?

DuelingFanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 22:45:55

though there is the opportunity for me to go and feed him while at work because the nursery is on site, I just don't know how I will do this unless I get him into a more regular feeding routine.

DuelingFanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 22:46:20

sorry for the hijack OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now