Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 month old drinking hardly any milk!

(9 Posts)
verycherry82 Wed 13-Jul-11 18:54:01

My DS is 6 and a half months and is having 3 solid meals a day. He's taken really well to solids but I am struggling to get him to drink more than 10oz of formula per day. I know this is not enough and I am starting to get really worried that he is not getting the nutrients he needs.

Today he had 5oz of milk at 7.30am, a bowl of porridge made with 3oz of formula milk at 8.30am, nap from 9.15am until 11am. I tried him with a bottle at 12pm and he had 2oz which is all I could get him to take, he then had some solid food (chicken with veg and some fruit puree) and a pudding. I put him back down at 1.30pm and he woke up at about 3.30pm at which point I tried him again with a bottle and he took 2oz. He had his tea (salmon and veg and some fruit again) and pudding at 5pm and then would only take 1oz of his bedtime bottle.

I don't know if the fact he is teething is making sucking on his bottle painful but he is hungry as he is really enjoying his solid food and gets really excited when he sees the bowl and spoon.

Should I cut down on his solids in the hope it will make him drink more milk? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!

storytopper Wed 13-Jul-11 22:38:56

It sounds like he is telling you what he wants - solid food! If he is eating well, sleeping well, developing and putting on the right amount of weight, I don't think you should be too worried about how much milk he drinks - as long as he gets enough fluid not to be dehydrated.

I'm probably not the best person to ask as my DSs were breast fed and never drank any formula - they just wouldn't take it. Older DS used to drink cow's milk mixed with drinking yogurt, younger DS has never really liked milk at all - both drank diluted fruit juice. They were brought up at the time when we were encouraged to introduce solids at 4 months. Both are big strong men now.

Go with your own instincts - sounds like you are doing a good job with your son. He is certainly not a fussy eater!

verycherry82 Thu 14-Jul-11 10:01:58

Thank you! My mum said the same thing. He is sleeping like an angel and definitely gaining weight so maybe I should stop worrying so much!

Angel786 Fri 15-Jul-11 15:22:15

My seven month old cut down on milk a lot when started solids, think Its normal.

4madboys Fri 15-Jul-11 15:30:10

my 7mth old is the same, on solids since 6mths and cut down drastically on her milk, she is happy and healthy, sleeping as usual so i do the same as you offer it and give her porridge made with formula, i also try and mix an ounce in with her solid food if i can and give her cheese and natural yog to up her diary intake.

i am managing to get her to have about 16oz a day by putting it in her food and then cheese and yog on top of that smile

have you tried offering it in a cup instead of a bottle, he may take some that way?

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 08:39:15

meant to say that from 6mths they need 500-650ml of milk/diary a day, but this can be made up with cheese yog etc, there are days when dd only has 100ml at each feed (she has four feeds a day) so i make it up with cheese, yog, ie grated cheese in with her veg, cauli and broccoli cheese you can make a cheese sauce with formula milk! i also put a spoonful of natural yog in with her meals, this is good if you make a thick soup out of veg, or else i give her yog and fruit as a pudding. plus you can make custard or buy baby custard, rice pudding etc.

i am thinking as dd gets older i make make her some smoothies with her formula milk if i can, ditto for ice lolly type things, made with fruit and milk, good for teething and it will get a bit of milk into her.

this is a learning curve for me, my boys were all milk monsters, whereas dd doesnt like it! so i am being inventive with ways to get it into her smile

verycherry82 Sat 16-Jul-11 09:44:37

I was going to start mixing it in with his food wherever I could but wasn't sure if that would count! Thank you so much for the suggestions! He used to be a milk monster but has turned into a solid food monster instead!

I do have a sippy cup so will give that a go as well.

SleepySuzy Sat 16-Jul-11 09:50:38

I remember DD1 doing this 7 yrs ago. I sneaked milk into whatever food I could, and it worked ok for me.

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 10:07:44

yes it does count verycherry grin good luck on your attempts to get the milk in, it can be stressful i know, but remember the most important indicator is your ds, so if he is happy, healthy, sleeping as normal and growing etc then you can be sure he is regulating himself and getting what he needs smile

thats what i am trying to remember with dd, tho when she refuses to have more than 2oz at a feed and i am struggling to get milk into her its hard not to worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now