Talk

Advanced search

1st period after b'feeding - how bad?

(10 Posts)
Udderly Tue 12-Jul-11 22:25:53

DD is 8 mths old and I have cut back to just one feed a day now. I think I'm ovulating at the mo so should see the return of AF soon!! I remember reading many posts abour how awful the first AF is after childbirth - whats it like after b'feeding for months?

Fumblina Tue 12-Jul-11 22:30:19

Wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe actually. Quite 'norma'l in fact.

yetama Tue 12-Jul-11 22:48:48

Mine came when DD was 4 months old (I have breastfed her until she was 23 months old and even now she still has the odd one every now and then and still have milk 6 weeks after stoping shock) and it was very bloody. But I have to say that they have stayed like this. Maybe I didn't bleed a lot before and now I have normal periods, not sure but at least they are not painful at all smile which is lovely

Udderly Tue 12-Jul-11 23:03:19

Ok, that I can handle! I've forgotten so much about cycles etc. and it was so all consuming not so long ago!!

IgnoringTheChildren Tue 12-Jul-11 23:29:05

I was worried about this too, particularly as my periods returned straight away with DS1 and became increasingly painful - I eventually discovered I had a rather large endometrial cyst! Anyway my first period since having DS2 (and second since having the cyst removed) happened when he was 6 months and was absolutely fine! No pain at all (was amazed when I went to the loo and discovered I'd started!), bleeding not that heavy and only lasted 3 days! I hope it continues to be that way... grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 13-Jul-11 08:29:40

Mine didn't return for 18 months each time but the first was quite light both times.

Cattleprod Wed 13-Jul-11 08:31:59

Pregnancy and bf seemed to cure all my period pains - I haven't had any pain since!

bessie26 Wed 13-Jul-11 08:37:33

I got my first period after DD1 after 7 months (bf until 1 year). It was a bit heavier than I was used to, but nowhere near as bad as I had been lead to believe. After that it was back to normal.

Fuchzia Wed 13-Jul-11 08:48:24

First one heavy. Had to keep nipping to the loo every hour just to be on the safe side. But the big plus was that they were much less painful post baby!

IgnoringTheChildren Wed 13-Jul-11 08:55:32

Cattleprod: "Pregnancy and bf seemed to cure all my period pains" - That's what I was promised by everyone when I had really bad pains as a teenager (although I'm not convinced this was a good thing to say to a fifteen year old hmm). It obviously didn't work out for me the first time round (and I BF DS1 til he was 13 months) so fingers crossed for this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now