Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding Councellor, I know there are plenty of other threats but can't find them

(12 Posts)
yetama Tue 12-Jul-11 18:44:00

Hi everyone,

I am considering to volunteer in my nearest hospital to help other mums to succeed breastfeeding. I have breastfed DD for 23 months and it has been the best experience in my life, totally worth it (all the pain and sleepness night). I know that the group that I will be volunteering for will send me to a 6 week course but I read a while ago in here that there is a degree (maybe?) that you can do in an university which I don't remember which one. Can anyone help me please?

I am considering a career change and I would love to do a lot for breastfeeding. I don't think I would have managed breastfeeding for so long without the help of the breastfeeding counsellor I have seen and all the help I got in here. So please help me again smile.

TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 12-Jul-11 19:01:30

Haven't heard of a degree but the NCT offer a diploma, is that what you were thinking of? There is some more information here.

crikeybadger Tue 12-Jul-11 19:27:44

I don't really find bfcs that threatening personally wink

NCT are affiliated to the Uni of Bedforshire I think.

You can also train with the Association Breastfeeding Mothers, La leche league and breastfeeding Network, although these are not to a diploma level.

yetama Tue 12-Jul-11 19:34:45

Sorry Crikeybadger grin but you know what I mean smile

JJJ: that was exately what I was looking for wink

Anyone has any experience on the diploma? I am a lone parent and I would like to know how in practice works. So any comments welcome

LaCiccolina Tue 12-Jul-11 19:48:39

I love the title by the way.... :0)

Our local council has gone all bf-y.... Maybe theres a way to be involved through that too? Contact a childrens centre to ask more. Or look up your local council website. Lifeline seems to be the name....

crikeybadger Tue 12-Jul-11 21:31:52

Yes, sorry OP couldn't resist. smile

The NCT website has loads of details but I think you have a tutorial once a month (pos eve) and then some study weekends. Could be tricky as a lone parent I'm guessing. ABM is mainly done by distance learning- you have to do the mother supporter module first though.

HTH

yetama Tue 12-Jul-11 22:45:08

LaCiccolina: my mistake with the tittle but I am glad you like it or at last it made you laugh. When I realised, it also made me laugh a lot wink. My council does not seem to have anything like lifeline. I have even checked on search for breastfeeding and nothing comes up shock.

Can anyone help me to understand the difference with NCT course and ABM course please? I knkow NCT is a diploma but ABM does not explain which qualifications you get at the end.

After some very difficult months in my live, I just need a change and I think that becoming a breastfeeding counsellor it is just what I need. I just need some one with experience on these courses to help me decide what to do. Am I being too demanding grin?

Thanks again to all of you for your patience

twinklegreen Wed 13-Jul-11 08:07:43

They are pretty similar, apart from the abm one is not externally moderated (as it adds significantly to the cost). The ABM on also is all by correspondence so doesn't involve any away days or evening training sessions. At the end you will be a qualified breastfeeding counsellor and will volunteer on the dept of health breastfeeding helpline for 2years post training. Look at the ABM website for more info. smile

EauRouge Wed 13-Jul-11 09:07:56

That's brilliant that you want to help other mothers, there are loads of organisations you can train with and I'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

There is some information about LLL training here. They are very much family oriented. You might be invited to attend study days, conferences etc but they're not compulsory. There are lots of ways to do the training, phone or email are two possibilities.

crikeybadger Wed 13-Jul-11 10:13:54

I don't think with the ABM that you get an 'official' qualification. It's still an indepth course though and allows you to support mothers on their helpline.

The NCT is a very well known organisation and that is why it appeals to many although I think they like you to get involved with the committee and fundraising too. ABM are a purely breastfeeding org.

If you look at their websites under the training pages, you'll see more info.

There was a thread fairly recently about training, but I can't for the life of me find it!

TheRealMBJ Wed 13-Jul-11 17:15:12

I think it is great that you want to support new mums to bf. smile. All the big organisations do offer in depth courses (as mentioned above) and these are all detailed and will equip you with the skills to support the majority of mums to breastfeed.

A word of warning though, it is very unlikely that you will be able to earn enough money as a BFC to support yourself. Most 'work' for BFCs is voluntary work and if you manage to find some paid work it will probably be a little erratic. AFAIK most of the national organisations have clauses in their 'Code of Conduct' that prohibit the exchange of money for bf support to mums.

IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) are extremely highly qualified independent practitioners that are able (in some instances) secure paid positions in some trusts or by private sessions with mums. The entry requirements for training as an IBCLC are rather stringent and it is expensive. Some information regarding IBCLC here

yetama Wed 13-Jul-11 21:18:14

Thank you again everyone. With your answer I have most of my questions answered. I am waiting for the group I have contacted to send the aplicatio form so I may be able to do a course in september. I now need to think which path I want to take after this but it looks very interesting at the moment.

Maybe once qualified I could do something about it and at the same tie earn a bit of money to live. I may have to see the last point but I am hoping with a bit of imagination I could so something positive about it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now