Talk

Advanced search

Rugby hold

(8 Posts)
takethatlady Tue 12-Jul-11 16:19:57

Does anyone know a good Youtube clip/instructions page for the rugby hold? I'm BFing my 9-day-old and we've mastered the cross-cradle hold and are ready for something new! Especially as while the left breast is a dream - no pain at all - the left one is still a little sore until a couple of minutes into each feed.

I'm feeling optimistic as the baby only lost 2% of her body weight by 5 days and has now gained 7% on her birthweight - she was 7lbs when she was born on the 3rd July and she's now 7lbs 8oz. Yay!

takethatlady Tue 12-Jul-11 16:20:50

PS - specifically I want to know if she should be tummy to mummy or tummy to sky in this hold. I'm guessing it's tummy to mummy all the way, as with the cross cradle hold, but keep finding alternatives ...

TheBluthCompany Tue 12-Jul-11 16:28:28

Dont have any clips for you, sorry, but just wanted to say that you can experiment and go with whatever works for you. As long as they are not twisting their neck which makes it harder for them to swallow. when DS was little I used rugby hold a bit differently on each boob. On one he was really tucked in around me, so that his tummy was against me and he was on his side, but on the other it worked better for him to be more flat on his back. Good luck!

takethatlady Tue 12-Jul-11 16:33:34

Thanks bluth! I'll try it next time she wants a feed. Shouldn't be too long now! ...

WiiUnfit Tue 12-Jul-11 16:48:02

No clips either I'm afraid!

Rugby hold with my DS was easy & fab when I was in hospital (5lb 8oz + EMCS) but now he's a lot bigger (nearly 5w) it's more difficult. I find tummy to sky best & it is a lot easier if I can prop him on a pillow to bring him to the right height IYSWIM & just support his head. Especially useful in the hot weather too as DC isn't on you! smile

Hope this helps!

takethatlady Tue 12-Jul-11 19:06:21

Thanks wiiunfit! I'm still using cushions for everything - I don't know how people manage without! But that's good about the hot weather - she gets boiling when she's feeding on me at the moment, and although i have a little hand fan I use, yesterday I got my hair stuck in it and had to cut a chunk out! Not good!

WiiUnfit Tue 12-Jul-11 19:37:01

May be worth investing in a stand-alone or desk fan then smile I bought a handheld one from Sainsburys & took it to hospital whilst having DS, they tried to induce me before my EMCS but DS was back to back & brow presentation (hense EMCS), cue MASSIVE & the single-most-painful-thing-in-my-life contractions - mid-contraction, I hit my finger with one of the blades & yelped even more, DP nearly wet himself laughing, I nearly punched him grin

DS gets really hot whilst feeding too, have you tried feeding whilst doing skin-to-skin, allows both of you to be a bit cooler, is lovely & boosts your milk supply too! I still giggle when DS finishes feeding though, I move him to wind him / put him down to sleep or whatever & all his hair on one side is all sweaty from where he's been on my arm grinblush

ellaidlaw Wed 13-Jul-11 11:40:14

Hi

Sounds like you are doing really well. I found lying on my side with my daughter lying on her side really comfortable and perfect for some morning tv watching (harder in the middle of a cafe I admit).

I bought one of these Floppeze Pillows - amazing so now I sell them (shameless plug). Hope it helps.

www.thelittleblueowl.co.uk/accessories/nursery-essentials/detail/floppeze-pillow/

El x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now