Talk

Advanced search

Two vest method?

(18 Posts)
buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Jul-11 14:16:39

This has been mentioned on another thread and I just wondered if someone could talk me through it?

I'm happy to give bf another go and have very few issues with feeding in public. However, this being dc4 my stomach is likely to be a bit of a disaster area and if there's a way of feeding in public without showing that off or carrying about bulky wraps etc that's suit me fine!

RitaMorgan Tue 12-Jul-11 14:22:07

Wear a stretchy vest - I got some from primark with adjustable straps so you can make them longer, or get a bigger size. Wear a looser top/t-shirt over the top. Pull down the vest, unclip bra, position baby, lift top.

HarrietJones Tue 12-Jul-11 14:35:35

New look have some cheap ones with stretchy straps £1.99 each.

TruthSweet Tue 12-Jul-11 14:41:06

I'll have a bash!

First you need a soft stretchy vest top. When buying a vest top check that the straps stretch and are not be rigid - bonus if they have bra style strap adjusters. Primark do ones for about £1.50 or if you go into their underwear section they have tummy control vests for £5. M&S also do soft stretchy vest tops. You could have contrasting or complementary coloured vest/top combos.

Then you need a loose top, stretchy top or buttoned shirt over the top of the vest (and your bra if you wear one). Very fitted non stretch tops or ones with tight hems are trickier to feed in (well at least I found them so).

Stick your hand up the hem of your top and pull down your bra cup & vest top so your breast is out but still covered under your top. Holding the hem down with the other hand stops the top riding up as you get breast out.

Get baby in position and lift top to get baby latched on. If your top has a stretchy or loose hem you can pull it out a little and 'swoop' baby and lift top at the same time (IYSWIM!).

If you have a buttoned up shirt unbuttoning from the bottom allows coverage of the top of your breasts so you aren't actually getting your breast 'out' so to speak as you would do if you unbuttoned from the top.

If you have a bib on baby turn it around slightly (hip hop cap style!) it gives a bit extra coverage if you feel you need it (flap up and over the breast or just swivelled a bit to the side depending on size of breast/wriggliness of baby).

Also, practicing feeding in front of a mirror can help boost confidence as you can see if your chosen outfit works or is too fiddly to get access to feed. You soon get an eye for what will work for you so it can be easy to shop for new clothes.

HTH smile

TruthSweet Tue 12-Jul-11 14:42:40

Rita - so much more succinct than me!

fishie Tue 12-Jul-11 15:27:10

uniqlo have good vests

japhrimel Tue 12-Jul-11 15:37:44

I find nursing vests with the simple drop down front work best for me. Most stretchy vests either don't cover my (big) boobs so I can't wear them under half-unbuttoned shirts or they ride up so don't cover my tummy well.

TitaniaP Tue 12-Jul-11 17:35:32

I use a belly band (2 for 10 in mothercare). I bought them to extend my tops when pregnant and they're great to cover up when feeding. They also hide the fact that my jeans don't quite do up yet (DS is only 4 weeks though - any excuse!!)

It also means in this weather you don't need an extra layer - I find it less warm than a vest.

HTH

Bareablefeedingcover Tue 12-Jul-11 19:02:40

Hi there

I hear ladies saying things like this all the time. I make a very simple and easy to use breastfeeding cover. Its not big to carry around it will fit in your change bag quite easily. If you like have a look at my website, www.bare-able.co.uk it might help, i know its has helped loads of other mums including myself. Hope u find what you are looking for :-)

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 12-Jul-11 19:58:54

I also find the belly band method easier than two vests, I think mine were 3 for £10 from New Look.

buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:59:23

Thanks all!

I did see some control vests in Next which are called 'wear your own bra' vests - ie they go under your boobs at the front. I wondered if they might be a good thing to try.

Esp as my belly will need controlling. It's a little unruly grin

TruthSweet Tue 12-Jul-11 20:53:30

Those vests sound like a great idea. Are they these?

buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Jul-11 21:40:12

Nearly - these ones.

I know they'll be a bit sweaty being nylon but it seems less hassle than faffing about with long straps. That would annoy the hell out of me as I'd end up hoiking them up all the time!

TruthSweet Tue 12-Jul-11 21:44:18

These would do pretty much the same job and keep bum/legs in check shock

<not taking notes at all, oh no, not me>

MayDayChild Tue 12-Jul-11 21:45:05

You need a breast vest. Google it!
Designed for Breastfeeding.
They could do with a bit of quality improvement but by eck they do the job.
About £15 if I recall a year ago.

buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Jul-11 21:48:24

Ah, but I bet they roll down TruthSweet.

Am off to google a breast vest.

buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Jul-11 21:52:57

They look just like the ones from Next and are the same price. I bet they don't have anything like the level of control though!

TruthSweet Tue 12-Jul-11 22:02:45

Actually they probably would then you would end up with a post-natal tummy squished up and over a tight elastic waist band. Definitely not a good look.

Oh and the 'you' in that sentence is a general you not a personal you BTW smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now