Talk

Advanced search

Seven month old frozen BM, is it ok to use?

(4 Posts)
TribbleTrelawney Mon 11-Jul-11 22:15:08

Hi,

I'm not sure about this one, I've got some frozen breastmilk out of the freezer and the date on it is from December. I've defrosted it and it doesn't smell. I've tasted it and it tastes ok (well it tastes a bit of the BM bag).

Should I use it?

TruthSweet Mon 11-Jul-11 22:22:00

Apparently BM, if off, is rancid beyond belief so if it smells ok and tastes ok.....

Though if it was stored in an ice box/compartment or in a freezer that's kept at over -18C I would be leary about giving it.

Some US sites (which I can't find at the mo) do reckon on 12m in a long term freezer (i.e. chest freezer kept at -20C that is opened on a less than weekly basis).

Not terribly helpful I know - sorry.

TribbleTrelawney Mon 11-Jul-11 22:26:20

I have no idea what temp my freezer is, I only know that it's very hard to open the breastmilk drawer.

It's only about 2oz, I was going to mix it with some fresh to top up a bottle for DS.

I may just leave it and pump a bit extra tomorrow.

Grumpygils Mon 11-Jul-11 22:44:17

How old is your baby? The recommendation is usually 6 months max in the deep freeze. If it was for a toddler I'd probably use it, but maybe not for a young baby. That's not advice, btw, just what I would do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now