Talk

Advanced search

Self weaning - Is it ok for an 8 month old to have no milk at all?

(7 Posts)
PinkEmily Mon 11-Jul-11 21:22:15

Hi I hope someone can reassure me,

My DD is 8 months old and always been a bottle refuser, I have never managed to crack this and it isn't important to me now as she only has a breast feed morning and night (and an occasional 4pm ish one)

The last few days she's been biting quite a lot, messing with my nipple, pulling off and playing. My nerves on her biting seem to be stopping my let down which makes things worse.
Tonight after managing to feed her both sides she was crying before bed, so I gave her some water which she guzzled, obviously really thirsty.

It seems to me she is self weaning, the problem is she won't take milk, not even from her normal cup. Not formula, cows milk or otherwise, she just spits it out.

So if I stop feeding her at just 8 months, what do I do? Or shall I persevere a little longer? She eats really well, lots of dairy etc, I'm just worried as I'm aware that milk should be the main source of nutrition till she's 1. Help!

japhrimel Mon 11-Jul-11 21:24:27

I'd look up nursing strikes on kellymom. It's too young for her to self-wean healthily, but it could be a strike.

Have you tried EBM in a bottle or cup? And cold as well as hot?

RitaMorgan Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:18

I don't think it'll be self-weaning this young, she still needs milk - more likely a nursing strike. I'd persevere with either breastfeeding or milk in a cup.

emkana Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:40

this is helpful

Nagini Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:50

Mine is drinking a lot of water ATM cause it is hot.

Can you try and dream feed her so she's going to feed and not bite? might make you a bit more confident about everything?

YoungMotherTubby Mon 11-Jul-11 21:48:24

I think this is just far too young to go without milk. I'd be concerned if my 8 month old was not having any. Would persevere with offering breast and offering milk at varying temperatures in cup.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone else will come along and give you a magic solution

PinkEmily Mon 11-Jul-11 21:53:23

I've tried EBM many times, it's spat out, and to be honest I really don't think I'd be able to express much now. I used to express daily to use in food and struggled even when supply was high to get a let down.

I like the idea of a dream feed though, I'm going to try that tonight. Thanks for the link on the nursing strike, I'll have a proper read now. It didn't occur to me that it could be this.

Any more tips on biting? A firm 'no' and taking her off and she just laughs at me. Little madam!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now