Talk

Advanced search

When are the typical growth spurts?

(5 Posts)
Eglu Mon 11-Jul-11 09:57:50

Feel like I'm starting to live in this topic, as I'm so determined to succeed at bf third time round.

I just want to be mentally prepared for extra feeding, and have seen on here before that there are times when growth spurts are usual.

tia

TheRealMBJ Mon 11-Jul-11 10:57:40

Weeks 3, 6, 12, and 16. Give or take a few days.

TheRealMBJ Mon 11-Jul-11 10:59:59

Kellymom on Growth Spurts

tiktok Mon 11-Jul-11 11:04:41

There's no good evidence I have seen that growth spurts happen at predictable times - none of the charts indicate this and I note Kellymom has no references.

Babies do not grow predictably. Their appetites vary and can be greater one day than the next, or one week and the next. This might coincide with a need to grow faster, or a need for more comfort, or a need to boost the milk supply.

They can happen at any time - people report them happening at x weeks or y weeks or whenever weeks, but I don't think this is a pattern that fits everyone.

Best way to 'prepare' is to accept that there will be short periods of time when your baby wants more closeness and more milk smile

Eglu Mon 11-Jul-11 11:17:46

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now