Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding and nursery

(7 Posts)
pollyr01 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:45:13

Im a bit obsessed worried about what happens when my 7.5 month old goes to nursery next month when it comes to food / milk feeds. She is on 3 solid meals a day and eats well. she has 3 b/f a day and is exclusively b/f. She drinks water enthusiastically from a sippy cup (about half going down her front , bless her), but won't take a bottle (never has, only chews on it for 5 mins) and won't take milk from a sippy cup. obviously the middle /bf (about 3pm) is going to be when she is at nursery. does it matter if she misses this out as long as she has more dairy through the day? I'm seeing the nursey this week to ask them but was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? my husband would also dearly love me to shut up about this so looking forward to hopefully finding out it'll be ok....

sc2987 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:09:38

You might find she just feeds more when you're with her.

MovingAndScared Mon 11-Jul-11 12:58:24

my DCs would take a bottle but both gave up their days time bottles at around 9 months -
I would get them to offer a sippy cup of mik when she starts at nursery - but I would say at that age I wouldn't be over concerned if she won't take it
you might want to offer a feed when you pick her up from nursery - my DS2 still likes one when he has been away from me!

EvaPeron Mon 11-Jul-11 13:04:27

Is she going to be full-time? My DS started nursery at about the same age, with me working 3 days a week. At that stage he was on about 8 feeds a day (!) and 3 meals and had never taken a bottle. He was drinking water from a cup, but wouldn't take formula.

He was fine, ate well at nursery and then fed lots to make up for the missed feeds when he could. I also found that when he was a little older, that he'd drink cows milk from a cup, it was just the formula he didn't like. Until he was a year old, I used to feed him at the nursery when I arrived to collect him. After that he changed rooms so it was a good excuse to stop.

birdofthenorth Mon 11-Jul-11 13:11:35

Also interested in the answer to this, similar situation myself!

OP I am also driving my loved ones mad worrying about it

RubyrooUK Tue 19-Jul-11 23:13:39

Not sure if you are still checking this thread...

....my son started nursery at 9 months full-time and won't take a bottle. He is breastfed in the evening, night and early morning. The health visitor said he was getting enough feeds for his age in the evening and night alone (that part is not so good for me!). And I give him yoghurt too during the day to make sure he has plenty of dairy.

Anyway, I stressed mentally about this before he went to nursery but he happily eats three meals a day at nursery, sipping on water and is offered two bottles (which he refuses) each day. So don't worry - he can get by without milk while you are at work.

(The only downside being that he may breastfeed all night like my baby!)

RubyrooUK Tue 19-Jul-11 23:14:32

Sorry, I meant she may breastfeed all night. I blame sleep-deprived typing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now