Talk

Advanced search

Mould in Steriliser - breast pump was left in there. Safe to clean?

(2 Posts)
1Catherine1 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:49:55

So... I'm obviously an idiot. It never occurred to me not to leave things in the steriliser. I thought the stuff was clean and sterile so I could just leave it. I was wrong.

I went away 2 weeks ago and had left my sterilised breast pump in the steriliser only to open it today and see mould on my breast pump. It is an electric one so it was kinda pricey so I've tried to clean it but I'm still not sure that it is safe to use. I've washed it, sterilised it in the microwave, washed it again (in the process of actually), then am going to sterilise it with those tablet things and then perhaps wash it again. But will this be enough?

I really can't afford another pump right now but I definitely can't put my daughters health at risk for any amount of cash...

KirstyJC Sun 10-Jul-11 20:56:14

I hope it is OK as that is exactly what happened to my steriliser about 2 years ago and I used it again then...and in fact am just about to use it again for DS3 for the first time tonight!!

As long as the mould comes off in the wash, and you have thoroughly cleaned it with detergent/washing up liquid as well, you should be fine. I stuck mine in a sink with some Milton as well last time after washing it and before microwaving it sterile again, just to be on the safe side.

The only thing that would bother me is if there are any inside parts that you can't get to, as then I would worry they would be dirty.

Hope all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now