Talk

Advanced search

When to stop feeding to sleep?

(11 Posts)
kellieb7 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:47:04

Hi, I have posted on here several times in the past 6 months because DD would not sleep for longer than 2 hours (day or night) infact a 2 hour stretch was classed as a "good night" in our house. However this has all changed and she is now sleeping through the night (about 9 hours grin ) and is napping consistently in the day which means I have a very happy DD and I feel actually able to function. However I am still feeding her to sleep as nothing else seems to make her sleepy. Do you think this is something that I need to address now or should I just continue as we are, I plan to continue BF'ing for at least another 6 months and I am not returning to work for about the same. Would like to know your thoughts on this. TIA

fruitybread Sun 10-Jul-11 21:06:06

I'm sorry I can offer no help on the 'feeding to sleep' issue (I mostly still am, and DS is 1...), but I would love to know how your daughter came to achieve such an epic sleep at night, with consistent daytime napping! You must be over the moon after such a sleep deprived time.

RuthChan Sun 10-Jul-11 21:09:02

It's great news that you are finally able to get some sleep. Congratulations!!!

I BF my DCs for 13 months and 14 months.
In both cases, they fed to sleep for the entire time.
I dealt with the problem of getting them to sleep on their own after I finished feeding them.
I'm sure some people get them to sleep on their own beforehand, but I never worked out how to!

marzipananimal Sun 10-Jul-11 21:13:23

well done on the sleep - sounds great! It sounds like things are working well at the moment so why change it?

My DS woke every 1.5-3 hours from 3-6months then we did some sleep training to get him to learn to fall asleep by himself. This worked pretty well and since then he wakes once or twice a night (he's 10 months now) but I've gone back to feeding him to sleep as it's so much quicker, more reliable and more pleasant than the alternative, and it hasn't led to him waking more in the night.

kellieb7 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:14:59

fruitybread, I would love to say that I was a wonderfull, clever mummy and taught DD to do it. . . . the truth is I completely followed her lead and we co-slept until I felt she was ready to move on, she then started in her own cot and has gradually increased the time that she sleeps. I do honestly believe that more sleep in the day leads to more sleep at night and the fact that she feeds more efficently has helped, but I think I have just being super lucky, just hope I havent jinxed it now hmm

KD0706 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:18:38

My DD is 14mo and we still feed to sleep about 50% of the time. I think if your DD was still waking loads in the night and unable to self soothe in the night then it might be worth trying to stop feeding to sleep, but it sounds like that's not an issue

Feeding to sleep is such a fab tool, I wouldn't give it up if I was you.

kellieb7 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:21:29

Thanks ladies, I think I just wanted some reassurance that this was ok (PFB), I actually enjoy feeding her to sleep as she is super cuddly and it really is the only thing that makes her sleepy (she doesn't even sleep in the car!!). I am sure that I will be posting again in about 6 months saying "how do I get DD to sleep without the boob" but hey ho I will just enjoy it until then grin.

twinklegreen Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:38

kellieb7 well said! Following the baby's lead is the way to go smile glad you are finally getting some sleep.

IMO 'following baby's lead' is the way to go about feeding to sleep as well, if you are not going back to work for 6 months then I, personally, wouldn't rush it, just see how it goes. All mine have naturally given up feeding to sleep at about 1 year old... but that's just my experience.

Yesmynameis Mon 11-Jul-11 11:51:45

DD got to a stage at around 12 weeks when she would be drowsy but not actually asleep after night feeds. We just went with it and started putting her down in her crib slightly awake and she was happy to go off to sleep on her own. Over the next few weeks we did the same at bedtime, and then progressed to putting her down awake for her daytime naps too (around 5-6mo)

At 8mo, she now goes down fully awake for 3 naps in the day and at bedtime. She still has one night feed, and goes down awake but sucking her thumb. I think the thumbsucking is the key thing in dd's case tbh.

However... she now associates sleep with going down in her cot in a darkened room and in her mind it has nothing to do with milk or bf. I can't guarantee that she will sleep unless we are at home and she's in her own nursery, which brings its own problems too. Would be very handy to be able to feed her to sleep if we are out and about or staying with relatives, but there's no chance anymore! Even pushchair and drive in the car have 50/50 success rate now!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:35

Feeding to sleep is way too usefull to give up imo!

Ds is 17m and mostly feeds to sleep at night. He'll also sleep in if car or buggy making him wonderfully flexible. Lately he has sometimes just fallen asleep in mine or dh's arms so i'm happy that he will grow out of it but will let him do it at his own pace.

There's nowt like bf to soothe an over tired toddler or baby imo...esp when they start dropping a nap and are unpredictable iyswim.

As you enjoy it op (who can blame you) no reason to stop i say. smile

fatandknackered Mon 11-Jul-11 12:37:44

Great she is sleeping through the night...

... however I know a few mums who did "feed to sleep" and now have 2yo DCs who won't go to sleep without BF.

She is only 6months though so you have some time to decide when you try to introduce a new night routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now