Talk

Advanced search

DD due in October - ideas for feeding 'treasure box'

(7 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Sat 09-Jul-11 18:11:46

DS will be 22 months when DD is born and although we will probably be tandeming, I would still like to get a box of toys and books together to entertain DS while I feed the newborn.

Any ideas for contents?

EauRouge Sat 09-Jul-11 18:28:59

Evening, MBJ!

I was lazy and just watched Cbeebies grin but I did see my friend's DS playing with jam jar lids for ages the other day.

TruthSweet Sat 09-Jul-11 19:24:36

Things like a magnadoodle or aqua draw (art with less mess), board books they can look at with out you having to turn the pages, simple puzzles, push along cars/trains, a baby doll to parent/nurse, a selection of long shelf life snacks like mini breadsticks, raisins, fruit puree pouches, wooden spoon/tupperware tub for a drum (much quieter than a real one you can put rice/dried beans in too, to make a shaker), stickers & paper (wrapping paper is good too for scrunching/tearing), or a shape sorter are all good things for a nursing box.

But don't forget the TV remote grin

TheRealMBJ Sat 09-Jul-11 23:02:19

Thank you Eau I'll probably end up doing the same but like pretending I'm a 'good parent' grin.

Excellent ideas truth, thank you, the aquadoodle looks AMAZING, wull definitely be getting one of those smile

TruthSweet Sat 09-Jul-11 23:57:19

If you get a big floor mat rather than the small table mats/character scenes your darling children can turn it into a paddling pool by emptying their cups of water over it hmm They are truly multi-functional wink

The wands/pens are good as they open the wrong way (screw cap turns the other way to normal) so it's difficult for children to open if they are used to taps/lids/etc that open the other way. Not so great for children who can't yet reach the taps so don't have the instinct to open them clockwise and empty them first try <grrr>

Also, don't leave out pens/crayons at the same time though as they will colour the mat in, I promise.

SeriousWispaHabit Sun 10-Jul-11 22:09:12

The book 'You Choose' has been popular here. Lots of chatting about the pictures and not much page turning.

CBeebies website is possible to do while feeding one-handed if you perch it on the arm of the sofa.

We did a lot of jigsaw puzzles on the coffee table while feeding sat cross legged on the floor.

Reading it back this all sounds very worthy, but mostly we watched Octonauts and Come Outside while eating biscuits.

greycircles Sun 10-Jul-11 22:14:40

Trains, cars, tracks/roads for them. I bought an absolute huge load of this stuff - sometimes it's great when they watch a Thomas DVD and you have the actual characters to play with/recreate the story. DS was 24 months when DD was born and we had no problems whatsoever (I bfed DD for a year, but was not tandem feeding DS as well). Also some movies - Toy Story etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now