Talk

Advanced search

Little guzzler, what is going on?!

(8 Posts)
MedicalEd Sat 09-Jul-11 08:36:29

My DH sometimes does a 'night-shift' with expressed milk so I can get some undisturbed sleep.
I usually have to come down and express but at least I can sleep without one ear out for the monitor.
She is down to one feed a night, usually between 3am and 4.30am.
Last night DD, who is 19 weeks and ebf, took 410ml from the bottle!
Another time, she took almost 300ml at bedtime.
I usually express in the mornings as that is when I have most milk.
Is she expecting fatty evening milk but getting watery morning milk so she drinks more to make up the calories?
I have tried expressing in the evenings but get paltry amounts out.
They don't make bottles big enough for her!

shuckleberryfinn Sat 09-Jul-11 08:53:04

Does she keep it down? That's a lot of milk :D

MedicalEd Sat 09-Jul-11 09:01:24

She has never once thrown up.
I know they take more from bottle than boob as its easier to just gulp down but 400ml, jees.

RitaMorgan Sat 09-Jul-11 11:03:05

Does he put 400ml in a bottle straight off? Maybe she just wants to cuddle and comfort suck?

TruthSweet Sat 09-Jul-11 14:16:38

400mls is a huge amount of milk to take in one sitting. Research suggests that babies aged 1-6m take between 19-30oz (570-900mls) a day with each baby finding their own level be it 22oz-ish a day or 28oz-ish a day or whatever.

Would this be helpful to share with your DH so he can spot the signs of satiety in case baby is just suckling away on the bottle because she wants to comfort suckle and if you do that with a bottle you will get milk regardless of actual hunger.

Jojay Sat 09-Jul-11 14:32:09

It is a large amount to take in one go but if she takes it happily, with no sickness or tummy ache afterwards, I don't see the problem.

You have no idea how much she takes in one go when bfing, and you presumably let her decide when to finish when on the boob, so if she's showing no ill effects, why be any different with the bottle?

My friend's Ds used to take that kind of amount in one go, and was fine with it too.

MedicalEd Sat 09-Jul-11 18:44:05

She fed normally in the day and I do let her come off boob on her own.
I feed on demand but don't let her go more than four hours in the day without offering boob.
Rita, the bottle is only 260ml which she chugged so DH came down and put another 80 ml in, she downed that so he came down again and put the last of the milk that was in the fridge in and she took all but 30ml of that.
She tends to just fiddle with the teat when she is full which she did so he took it away, burped her, had a cuddle, then put her down and she went off to sleep in ten mins.
When she doesn't want more she pushes the bottle away or pushes teat out with her tongue so I don't think it was a comfort suckle thing.
Truth, thank you for that link, it is very interesting.
DH does hold the bottle at quite a low angle already and DD is very good at getting rid of the teat if she doesn't want it.
Mostly she takes between 180ml and 250ml, I was just shock at this record breaking effort.
I was interested to know if this was a sign she wasn't taking it effectively from me or had not fed enough in the day.

RitaMorgan Sat 09-Jul-11 21:05:50

400ml must really stretch her stomach - that can't be good for her. I'd offer 150ml and then a dummy or finger if she wants to keep sucking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now