Talk

Advanced search

Fenugreek

(10 Posts)
inatrance Sat 09-Jul-11 00:14:41

Has anyone tried this for boosting milk supply? Is it a good idea and what sort of dosage do you need for it to have an effect?

TruthSweet Sat 09-Jul-11 05:02:07

Inatrance - I used fenugreek to great effect but I know mums who have tried it and it's done nothing. I did go from a DD to a F in 48 hours so be warned! It was not engorgement either as I am still yet to go down to a DD 5 years later though I haven't stopped bfing since then as am on DD3 now!

The dosing I took was 4 capsules 3 times a day. The capsules were 610mg and were from Holland & Barrett. There are some contra-indications against using them e.g. asthma (oops I have asthma) so it's worth looking into them before starting taking them especially if you or baby have any health issues.

If I might be so nosy why do you think you have low supply? Is it pump yields, baby's behaviour or something else? As depending on what the problem is fenugreek might not be the answer.

TheRealMBJ Sat 09-Jul-11 11:01:08

I agree with truthsweet Fenugreek may not be your answer it depends on why (or in fact if) you have a low milk supply. What are your reasons for thinking you have a low supply?

inatrance Sun 10-Jul-11 00:46:35

Hi it's more for information purposes really, could do with upping my supply so I can start building a store of ebm. Got some fenugreek from Holland and Barrett but I'm crap at taking tablets especially huge ones so I was wondering whether it was worth it?

twinklegreen Sun 10-Jul-11 08:24:49

It's worth a try, success varies from person to person I suppose.

You could also try blessed thistle (which is quite hard to get hold of).

Or oatmeal, if you really don't want to take tablets.

You could always try expressing with a double pump, or feeding from one side while expressing from other, which will help increase supply.

A word of caution though, If you are trying to increase supply above your baby's needs you will need to be quite organised with the routine (ie. Pumping everyday, not missing days etc) as you may find you start getting engorged.

Good luck smile

choceyes Sun 10-Jul-11 08:28:27

I used it, and it really upped my supply. My baby didn't latch on and I exclusively pumped for 10 months. I only took it in the first few weeks to establish a good supply.

I took 2 tablets, 3 times a day. It makes your wee smell though!

TruthSweet Sun 10-Jul-11 09:44:02

Yes, it will make you reek of maple syrup (and baby too!).

The thing is a few days of pumping between feeds, during naps, after baby has gone to bed will increase your supply without the risk of side effects and won't make you smell funny either.

Or if you have longer to get your ebm stash (is that for when you go back to work or have you got an op/holiday away from baby coming up?) just adding a pumping session into your day (same time each day is usually best) and not worrying if you only get tiny amounts to start with as you will start to get larger yields over time.

ShirleySharpeyes Sun 10-Jul-11 09:52:24

It didn't work for me. But two cups of redbush tea a day did.

violetwellies Mon 11-Jul-11 10:49:45

Smelled of curry, & sweated buckets took iy with blessed thistle. Worked a treat with double pumping to get supply up whilst DS was refusing breast.

japhrimel Mon 11-Jul-11 19:28:41

Easiest way to up your supply for expressing is to express. Pump until nothing comes out and then keep going for a minute or two. Do this and express every day at the same time and your supply will adjust no problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now