Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed...DS appears more settled when given EBM.

(4 Posts)
Lib76 Fri 08-Jul-11 19:58:00

Ds is 6 weeks today and have been BF along with a couple of ebm feeds a day. Feeding is going ok, had thrush, cracked nipples got it treated although still a little breast pain at times.

So the thing is DS always appears mores settled after ebm and usually after feeding from me he is quite unsettled and quite often i need to feed him again! We are having sime latch problems and i am wondering am i making it worse by giving him a bottle?
The reason i am getting so worried about this is because i had to stop bf ds1 at 7 weeks after being admitted to hospital for 3 days with mastitis. Had lots of guilt at not bf and really want to give ds2 a longer spell. i am starting to feel a little inadequate that i can't satisfy ds with bf sad

LaCiccolina Fri 08-Jul-11 20:07:53

Right, from the bottom up, you are not inadequate. NOT NOT NOT. Well, I feel better now Ive said that so hope you feel better now you have heard it! :0)

The mastitis sounds horrible for you, something will eventually cause the bfing to stop but maybe not this and maybe not now. If it did though, it really wouldn't be the end of the world as you have already done so much. Review above again! :0)

I cant help with a latch issue, expect someone else can though shortly, but all I can say is take it one feed at a time. Bring everything back to that. If poss bf and just take it one feed at a time, then if you really feel you need the bottle do that, just do it because it really feels right for you. You're boss here so do what works to keep both of you the happiest.

Lib76 Fri 08-Jul-11 20:20:17

LOl! thank you so much LaCicco! I know i am being completely stupid thinking i am inadequate (dh would go mad if he heard me say that!) i guess it's just hormones and lack of sleep today wink some feeds are great and others i think i just can't keep going like this, especially today as he has been very insettled and i have a blister on one of my nipples...ouch!

RitaMorgan Fri 08-Jul-11 22:58:48

Have you seen someone about sorting his latch out?

How much ebm is he having at each feed? Babies often take a lot more from a bottle than they normally would because the milk flows so much faster and they have to keep gulping - he might me getting a load of milk and it just knocks him out. Remember, for a baby breastfeeding is about much more than just eating, it's about snuggling up with mummy, getting comfort, regulating their breathing and body temperature - little babies are biologically programmed to want to be at the breast. When he's unsettled after a breastfeed it's not necessarily that he is hungry, it might just be that he has a strong desire to be as close to you as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now