Talk

Advanced search

When will my boobs stop hurting?!

(2 Posts)
WildhoodChunder Fri 08-Jul-11 11:46:31

I stopped BFing DS 3 weeks ago at 8 months old. I dropped one feed a day over a week, and didn't really get engorged or uncomfortable in the process. I BFed to take the pressure off 4 days after the final feed, and then had to pump a bit a week later, and maybe 6 days after that as I wasn't sure if there was a blocked duct or whatever - I only took off 1-2 tablespoons of milk each time. Anyway, in total it's been about three weeks since the last proper feed, and 5 days since I last pumped, but then randomly on Sunday night I got hugely engorged and painful, nothing like I'd had before (I did pump a tiny bit that morning, and then had a couple of pints of beer that afternoon, which I have heard that stimulates supply, but really?!).

I decided not to pump as I really just want to stop with the milk already, but it's been tough. I'm still very tender - not as bad as it was - and I can feel big lumpy bits in the underside of my breasts. I have no fluey symptoms or redness so I think/hope it's just full milk ducts, as when I was BFing I could feel fairly distinctly where they were in my boob when I was due a feed.

I'm looking for reassurance that I just need to tough it out a bit longer, that I am not about to go down with mastitis/abscesses... And a rough idea of when my boobs will get the message and stop hurting would be lovely!

friendcat Fri 08-Jul-11 11:55:15

I think perhaps stop pumping as that can stimulate supply. If you can do a bit of hand expressing, just til the tension is relieved and they stop dripping by themselves you may find your poor boobs calm down. There could be a bit of confusion going on as your stimulating them infrequently. It could also be because you're still at the whim of those damned hormones. Talk to your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now