Talk

Advanced search

urgent - anyone know anything about the contrast dye used for CT scans in context of bf?

(5 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Fri 08-Jul-11 11:41:28

I had a CT scan of my kidneys this morning. they used a contrast dye which they said was safe for bf. then after the scan they said I should watch my babies closely the next couple of days and take them to hospital if I spot anything unusual, particularly any rash. I'm holding on to the fact they said it's safe, but the "watch closely" advice is also worrying me. does anyone know anything more?

crikeybadger Fri 08-Jul-11 11:57:47

Might be worth giving the drugs in breastmilk helpine a call, they should know.

CMOTdibbler Fri 08-Jul-11 12:00:26

Its just that they use iodine in it, and very rarely people are sensitive to it. I get a bit rashy with too much iodine for instance - a bit itchy, but nothing to worry about

MamaChocoholic Fri 08-Jul-11 12:08:02

thanks both. I phoned the helpline and they talked about halflifes (halflives?). good to know the worst risk is itchiness - nothing to worry about then, and I shall feed my hungry babies smile

flickor Tue 12-Jul-11 14:56:28

half life - this just means that the form iodine is not very stable so it breaks down quickly and release radiation which is completely unharmful to us. Half life is just a term for how quickly it breaks down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now