Talk

Advanced search

Safe exercising while BF

(7 Posts)
peedieworky Wed 06-Jul-11 21:53:21

Hi -

Just got my 6 week check from Doc and now am keen to get back to some exercise. Nothing major! Just the aquafit classe I used to enjoy and maybe the odd exercise DVD just to help my sleep and make me feel a bit more human again. However, some mates cautioned me that exercise can impact on supply/feeding. Tried googling it but was a bit overwhelmed by results and most seem to be about weight-loss/dieting so would appreciate any practical do's and don'ts.

Should take this chance to say how amazing these forums are by the way! All the help and advice I've been given so far has been amazing grin

kimberlina Wed 06-Jul-11 21:54:31

I've been running 5 miles plus several times a week since 8 weeks with no problems. But I do wear a sports bra and a croptop to try to control my boobs!

TruthSweet Wed 06-Jul-11 22:12:44

peedieworky - Does this help?

I would second kimberlina's suggestion of a sports bra as it's most uncomfortable leaping about with your boobs following you a few seconds later if you do an exercise dvd in an ordinary bra (or is that just me? blush)

shuckleberryfinn Wed 06-Jul-11 22:13:12

exercising doesnt impact your feeding. Go for it. I run and cycle. In fact I've just come in from a brutal 40 mile ride. boobs are fine. :D

Incapinka Thu 07-Jul-11 09:17:34

Excellent question and just the answers I was hoping for. LO is 6 weeks today and now that he will take a bottle of EBM I am looking forward to attempting some exercise. Woo hoo!

MovingAndScared Thu 07-Jul-11 09:32:57

I think you have to just keep an eye on it - I found that if I got dehydrated or v tired my supply was not as good; but what you are suggesting sounds just fine

peedieworky Thu 07-Jul-11 19:48:59

Thanks everyone. Think I've been guilty of falling for some old wives tales again.. No excuses now though! Time to brush off the lycra (apologies in advance...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now