Talk

Advanced search

BFing and hiccoughs. Info/advice needed

(8 Posts)
poppygolucky Wed 06-Jul-11 19:25:16

I am BFing 11do DD and aware she is getting hiccoughs after every feed. She is generally feeding well and is already 4oz over her birth weight, plenty of wet/dirty nappies and sleeping well too. However when I feed her she does pull off and then reattach herself a lot, almost as if milk is coming too fast for her and she needs a break. Am I worrying too much? She doesn't seem to be in pain and she did have hiccoughs a lot in the womb! Still, it is strange the fact she won't stay latched on during feeding. Any info/advice appreciated.

girliefriend Wed 06-Jul-11 19:29:39

Sounds normal to me, think my dd did the same. At this age they are still getting to grips with learning how to bf and how to regulate the swallow!
If you are worried maybe have a chat with the hv or even better find a bf support group to go along to - finding other mums who are bf and going through the same sorts of things is really valuable!!!

poppygolucky Wed 06-Jul-11 19:38:36

Thank you girliefriend. Had an emcs so not out and about yet but as soon as I am, definitely going to BF support group. First time mum so just anxious I'm doing things right!

girliefriend Wed 06-Jul-11 19:42:05

Oh bless I had an emcs as well and remember it well! The bf support group was actually my 1st outing post c.s!

You sound like you are doing really well! smile

poppygolucky Wed 06-Jul-11 19:47:51

Thank you. I am delighted that both of us seem to have taken to BFing as it was hard for the first few days. I'm sure once I meet some other BFing mums I'll get some reassurance smile

peedieworky Wed 06-Jul-11 23:03:54

My DS did same and at 6 weeks still gets them. He had frequent pickups in womb and seems he is no different in real world! My HV reassured me that baby hiccups don't cause same discomfort adult ones do so he wasn't getting sore tummy or anything.

peedieworky Wed 06-Jul-11 23:05:17

Sorry - should say hiccups. Blinking predictive texting ...

mimmymouse Wed 06-Jul-11 23:16:10

My DD hiccuped for her first couple of months. She is now 7 months and rarely hiccups. She fed in a similar way to your baby. We're still bfeeding!

You're doing a fine job smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now