Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To express or not to express?

(7 Posts)
fifitot Tue 05-Jul-11 21:40:51

Hi posted last week but can't find thread. Have weaned 12m old DS off the breast and last Weds dropped his only BF, the one at 10pm. He is fine and has adjusted well - I haven't though.

I thought dropping only 1 feed wouldn't cause any problems but a week on am still really really sore and lumpy. Am leaking milk at night! No redness and am trying advice given on other thread about massaging breast etc.

Surely it should have stopped by now. I really scared I will get mastitis. I have been expressing a bit to ease the congestion but tbh, my breast is still sore and lumpy but if I totally emptied it then it would just fill up again later surely?

Any suggestions? Should I express or not, or wait it out until the engorgement dies down. I assume the milk is just absorbed into body at some point?

fifitot Tue 05-Jul-11 22:19:05

Anyone???? I could do with knowing before bedtime! Do I spend another night with enormous leaking norks or get the breast pump out!

Parietal Tue 05-Jul-11 22:24:36

I am not any expert, but I think if you express 2 mins to take the pressure off, then the milk will take longercto dry up. But you could then express 1 min tomorrow etc. Just express as little as possible.

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Jul-11 22:27:49

i would express enough off so that the breast is not sore or lumpy. you're right that you risk mastitis otherwise

so express off just enough to make you comfortable and your body will naturally respond and the milk supply will go down eventually. just take it slowly

fifitot Tue 05-Jul-11 22:29:04

Thankyou thankyou both. Really struggling with this and amazed I am still producing a week on!

My temptation is just to latch him on.................but have come this far I suppose.

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Jul-11 22:34:34

well if you decide you want to carry on feeding for a while there's no harm in it!

fifitot Wed 06-Jul-11 19:45:52

I know. I've done 12 m though and have had enough. Did 2 years with DD though so feel a bit guilty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now