Talk

Advanced search

How many bottles should baby have at a year old? Exclusively FF.

(15 Posts)
Pfriend Tue 05-Jul-11 19:18:42

I have always been baby led with feeding even though I ended up exclusively FFing. My DS at 10 months has 7 oz bottle first thing, then breakfast at 9, lunch at 12, small bottle at 2 pm ( sometimes he'll take 4 oz, sometimes 1 oz or none) tea at 4:30 and bottle at 6:45 before bed.
My SIL has been making a big thing of how her DS was down to 1 bottle a day at a year old. She did this by giving him less and less milk and giving him squash instead.
I am going to stick with my guns and be baby led, which almost certainly means my DS will have a bottle AM and PM. It does look like the afternoon milk will go.
However, I am curious. Does anyone else think that FF babies should only be on 1 bottle at 12 months? If so, why?

AlpinePony Tue 05-Jul-11 19:47:31

My son is 12,months. He's currently on 3 a day. 2 of ~180 of cow's milk and we're slowly reducing the third to be replaced by a cheese sarnie.

AFAIK, should not be only 1 a day, they're still supposed to be getting lots of milk. smile

Cattleprod Tue 05-Jul-11 19:48:47

About a pint a day iirc.

Sirzy Tue 05-Jul-11 19:52:22

I let DS decide when he dropped bottles. At the age of 1 he had morning, bed and middle of the night bottle. By 15 months he dropped the middle of the night "woo hoo" and then at 18 months decided he no longer needed bottles!

RightUpMyRue Tue 05-Jul-11 19:52:24

About a pint of milk a day. This pint includes other dairy too like cheese or yogurts, for example.

Full fat cows is fine from year if combined with vitamins. If you qualify for healthy start you can get free vitamins, if not then abidec or dalvit are good brands available from the chemist.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 05-Jul-11 19:55:09

My DD is 18 months and has milk in morning and before bed. It all depends on the child. At one she still had 3 or sometimes 4 bottles a day but phased them out herself. It's not like your DS is mainlining Coca Cola!

Spagbolagain Tue 05-Jul-11 20:04:36

Dairy about 3 times a day I think, so maybe 2 drinks of milk and a yogurt or some cheese. 1 pint equivalent for the calcium.

We bf so never used any bottles, but I thought I read somewhere to aim for moving off bottles and into cups at 1? We were giving cups of water when weaning, so when old enough for cows milk at 1 that was in a cup. I would've thought less faff than a bottle?

Moving from milk to squash is not a good plan, especially in a bottle. Really really really bad for teeth.

Brevity Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:07

Officially , none grin

Ideally should have all drinks in beaker/cup. Aiming for 3 portions dairy= 1/2 pint dairy a day.

Don't shoot the messenger tho!

nannyl Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:14

you dont need to have vitamins with cows milk.
Cows milk along side a balanced diet is fine for a 1 year old.

Most children i know (even older toddlers and young school age children) have 2 cups of milk a day.... with breakfast and before bed. Cows milk is fine and no reason why your child shouldnt have 2 (or 3) bottles of whatever milk you choose to give him. (formular milk nutritionaly fine too, just much more expensive & invented for the purpose of formular manufacturers legally advertising their brand hmm)

Milk is a much healthier drink than the empty calories and nasty additives in most squashes.

If your child wants 2 (or 3) cups /bottles of milk a day then let him! Sometimes I have 2 glasses of milk a day too!

mousesma Tue 05-Jul-11 20:23:20

My DD is 12 months old in 4 days and she currently has 5oz formula at 5am, breakfast at 8am, snack at 10am, lunch at 11.30am, 8oz cows milk at 1pm, dinner at 4.30pm and 8oz formula at 7pm. Once the final box of formula is used up I will use cows milk for all three drinks.

I'm going to let her drop the mid-afternoon bottle in her own time. She eats well and her weight is normal so she obviously needs that extra bottle at the moment. smile

4madboys Tue 05-Jul-11 20:23:36

i think they need a bit less than a pint, 350ml of milk a day? my eldest three were all bfeeding loads still at that age and my ds4 still had three bottles a day, cut it down to two at 18mtsh ihs? and he still has 4oz before bed now and he was three in march! imo as long as they are eating well then its not a problem, i wont let them have milk in the night and i brush their teeth after the last milk etc, but as long as they are not drinking milk out of a bottle ALL day then its fine imo.

my ds4 who is three still has the first stage formula, i never moved him onto follow on and tho he drinks cows milk occasionally and has it on his cereal when offered it at bedtime he refused, he likes his bottle of warm formula, its a comfort and part of his routine, nowt wrong with that smile

Pfriend Tue 05-Jul-11 20:28:17

Thanks all, good range of opinions! I am trying to move him from bottle to a cup for the mid afternoon feed. He will drink water from a cup but is a bit variable with it.

brettgirl2 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:45:37

My daughter was on 2 bottles a day at 1.

FWIW I don't think there is any need to cut bottles out at 1 on the dot if your LO likes their milk in one. My daughter self-weaned off bottles anyway at about 17 months. The argument against bottles is that they prevent speech and are bad for teeth - well if they have one in their pushchair all the time then perhaps but one in the morning and at night I doubt it.

Recently I heard about an 11 year old who still has a bedtime bottle shock

nannyl Tue 05-Jul-11 21:13:53

Bottle at 11 shock [falls off chair] shock

RitaMorgan Tue 05-Jul-11 23:21:10

Yes, tis about 350ml of milk a day between 12-24 months. Up to you how many cups/bottles that is though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now