Talk

Advanced search

8 mo with tongue-tie. Will need GA to snip. What would you do?

(15 Posts)
kimberlina Tue 05-Jul-11 12:06:47

I'm a bit angry that it wasn't picked up earlier by HV or GP - in fact it was my mum who spotted it and asked what the HV had said about it (nothing - it had not been mentioned!)

DD was a very slow and frequent feeder at first (but I don't think anything worse than other posts I've read on here. She dropped to 9th centile from 50th within 2w but then has stayed here ever since so think she's just meant to be small rather than has struggled with wt gain.

Have seen doctor today and they are recommending to divide it toprevent speech probs in the future but she will need a GA.

WWYD - wait and see or get it over and done with?

ilovemountains Tue 05-Jul-11 12:33:22

I'm in a similar position, my DD is 6.5 months and has just ben diagnosed with a lip tie. Luckily it causes no problems with feeding, but they are concerned it could impact on her speech. However as the lip is fairly flexible we're adopting a wait and see position, and the doctor will review again when she starts talking.

I don't know what to suggest for you, I guess it depends on how severe the tounge tie is, whether the operation would be more difficult or traumatic of you waited etc. My doctors are pretty good and I trust their judgement!

ilovemountains Tue 05-Jul-11 12:34:50

Sorry should clarify, trust their judgement in my DD's case. If they had suggested the operation now for her I would have gone for that.

Ihatecobwebs Tue 05-Jul-11 12:39:44

My DS had the op when he was a baby. He wasn't very good at feeding, and had dropped down the centiles from 75 to 2. The op was very quick, and DS was fine afterwards. It is just a little cut, so he was "out" for only a little time. I was given painkiller for him to take home, but he didn't need much, and didn't seem at all bothered by it. We went into hospital at 7am, and were on our way home by late morning.

HarrietJones Tue 05-Jul-11 12:53:07

Dd3 has one. She is almost 9 months. I spotted it on her notes but no one ever mentioned it to me. No feeding problems and she piles on the weight so it's only if speech is likely to be a problem.

bigscarymum Tue 05-Jul-11 12:59:24

DD had a quite obvious tongue tie at birth. I had real trouble feeding her as she had trouble latching on, but no-one suggested it might be that. She got there eventually but I had a traumatic few days. We were told not to bother doing anything about it (this was 15 years ago). When she got to about 12 she was doing a lot of sining and her teacher thought the tongue tie was affecting it. She had the operation - a GA and a couple of says to recover although iIwas told afterwards there are ways of doing it with a laser or something like that, so you might want to look into that. On balance I wish it had been suggested that we have it done when she was a baby, but it was no hassle really. She had absolutely no speech problems at al, either before or after having it cut.

laurz75 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:09:11

My ds (eldest of my 2) and dd were both tongue-tied. HV said "they don't do anything" when I queried having it snipped. He is almost 6 so not long ago. We accepted this but my son was slow to talk so at 17 months, with referral from a lovely GP, he had op under GA. It was very quick and successful. Brace yourself for the GA bit tho as its worse for you than your baby.
My dd had hers snipped at 8 weeks with no anaesthetic at all! She talked much earlier than my ds.
I would def have it done - its worth the pain/trauma of one day. Also if you have future babies - check them early and INSIST they are treated early.
I was very cross that my HV made me back off and I ensured she was informed that tongue-ties can be treated. Hopefully this will have helped someone else in my area.

laurz75 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:12:03

HarrietJones - my husband's tongue tie was not treated. He desperately wishes it had been. He developed serious speech problems as he developed. I would look into it for your child. Also - the consultant we saw said 'every child has the right to lick an icecream and stick their tongue out!'.

HarrietJones Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:31

She can stick her toungu out just not the whole way! It was noted as 'slight' I was just PO no one said anything

laurz75 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:30:34

Oh good. Yes its out of order they didn't actually tell you!!!

kimberlina Tue 05-Jul-11 15:58:08

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your quick replies.

bigscarymum - I think we probably will have it done - it will probably bother her less now than if she needs it doing as an older child. She won't even remember it will she?

ihatecobwebs - it's good to know that it was so quick. They said that it wouldnt be overnight but I imagined longer than just a few hours! I presume you stay with them whilst they are knocked out but not for the op - is that right?

laurz - you're right - it's the GA rather than the op that is bothering me. I wish it had been spotted before she was 3 months so that it could be done conscious.

harrietjones - I'm shock that it was spotted and noone bothered mentioning it to you

ilovemountains - nice to know we're not alone. The doctor we saw today did recommend we had it done so presumably he thinks there is a fair chance that she might develop problems. I think we do have to trust their judgement

Ihatecobwebs Tue 05-Jul-11 18:42:30

kimberlina - we were in the children's ward - he had a local anaesthetic on his hand, then we went down for the GA. I left him there for the op, then was called to collect him. He'd woken up very quickly, and was crying for me by the time I'd walked up the ward - scared the nurses by trying to throw himself out of her arms to me! We went back to the ward, I fed him; then we had to wait a little while, so they could be sure he was ok again. I was given an oral painkiller for him, and we went home.

As its a very simple op, they only need a "light GA". I remember that I had enough time to express, and he was awake again. I didn't even have time to get a cup of tea. The worst thing was not being able to feed him that morning (for him as he wanted a feed, for me as I was getting full and uncomfortable).

ihearttc Tue 05-Jul-11 19:48:02

DS2 is 7 months and had his tongue tie cut last week...and not under GA! His tongue always protruded a little bit from his mouth and has never fed well at all...it used to take nearly 1 hour to get him to take 4oz of milk. He was 2 months premature though and we put all the problems down to that plus he was checked for tongue tie in NICU when he was born. Since he's been on solids we've noticed the problem more and more-he literally couldn't lower his tongue in his mouth so I couldn't get a spoon in to feed him. Although he was taking solids he was almost licking it off the spoon if that makes sense?

Went to GP 2 weeks ago and explained and he had a good look and said that although his tongue was essentially free right at the front the frenum was extremely short and tight so he'd never be able to move his tongue properly without it being done.

He said it would have to be under GA as well so like you I was very worried. The hospital called 2 days later with an appointment and we went last tuesday for a consultation. Dr said it definitely needed doing and he had done them on babies up to 10 months without a GA if I wanted him to try. He said it wouldn't be pleasant but would literally take 5 seconds so I agreed. They got a nurse in to hold him so I could be ready straight away with a bottle...and they did it even before Id opened my bag to get his bottle out! Yes he cried and it did bleed a bit more than it would with a tiny baby (he explained that the blood vessels are obviously bigger so to expect a little bit more blood)and we had to wait about an hour afterwards to make sure it was all ok.
The difference it has made has been amazing. He is making noises now which he wasn't before presumably because he couldn't move his tongue round and it has made a huge difference to his eating.

Not trying to tell you what to do obviously but would see if there is anyway they could do it without GA if thats something you would consider and if you would feel happier that way.

FloweryBoots Tue 05-Jul-11 20:49:15

Just to add another experience. My brother had tongue tie which was not diagnosed until a child (rather than a baby). I'm not sure what age exactly but he was already talking certainly. It has never caused any difficulties with speachso not major but he was never able to lick an ice cream, and got in a terrible mess with food like that. When he was 17 he decided himself to have it cut. I think he was hoping it would help with eating as he just couldn't lick anything, and if he got food round his mouth or lips couldn't lick it off (I also wonder if french kissing was an issue, he'd just got his first girlfriend!). He had it done at the dentists with local anasthetic and a lazer thingy I think (some sort of cortorising (sp?) thing). He said the op itself was fine, he was uncomfortable for a bit after but not too long. However, it didn't help and in then end he was told it was because by that stage his tongue muscle was just so used to being held in a short possition it had sort of stuck like that and couldn't stretch, so he still can't stick his tongue out.

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Jul-11 20:52:11

i would wait and see

tongue tie does not always cause speech problems and it can stretch over time by itself

i have a tongue tie, as does ds1. ds2's was snipped at 3 weeks

neither ds1 or I have any speech problems and we can both eat ice cream grin

i would maybe ask for a referral to the people who cut it, and see what they think about how severe it is. if it's very bad then i would consider getting it cut, but if it's not too bad i would leave it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now