Talk

Advanced search

Underwired bras

(9 Posts)
beela Tue 05-Jul-11 09:34:55

I have been bf DS for 9 months now, and we are down to one first thing in the morning and one at bedtime.

Is it ok to wear underwired bras in the daytime now? I did wear one of my old ones for a couple of days a couple of weeks ago but then got a blocked duct (ouch)! so have been fitted for a new bra and am dying to wear it - I am so fed up with my monoboob, I want my chest back! but don't want another blocked duct....

Does anyone know what the advice is?

aswellasyou Tue 05-Jul-11 10:02:04

As long as it really fits and no breasr tissue is touched by the wires, it will be fine. My daughter's 9 months too and I've recently started wearing underwired bras with no problems. I'm still feeding about 8 times a day though.
Can I suggest you check here that you've been fitted with the correct bra size. If you went to M&S it will be wrong.wink

japhrimel Tue 05-Jul-11 11:31:56

I wear a nursing one! If it fits well all the time (check the fit when you're at you're fullest) then it's fine.

beela Tue 05-Jul-11 12:24:07

An underwired nursing one? Ooh, where from?

Thanks for the link, I am a bravissimo girl so pretty sure it was fitted properly, gave up on M&S some time ago smile

Secondtimelucky Tue 05-Jul-11 12:55:18

Depends on your size how many underwired nursing options you have. Mine are Anita from Figleaves. Pricey, but sooo worth it. The underwire is cut wide to avoid breast tissue.

I fed DD1 to 21 months and wore normal bras the last 11 months with no problems.

beela Tue 05-Jul-11 14:15:16

32H, so options tend to be limited, often I am too small round the back AND too large up front for standard ranges. Just had a look though and they do have them in that size - if only I'd found them before! It's probably not worth investing in another nursing bra right now if I can go back to underwires in the daytime. Maybe next time though.....

TruthSweet Tue 05-Jul-11 14:26:27

I wear an normal underwire bra daily now as DDs are 3.8 & 20m so don't feed a lot in the day and I find mine just as easy to use as a drop cup by just pushing the strap off my shoulder (though that may be down to my size [34g/36f] rather than their actual functionality!). I do make sure though that the wires don't dig into any breast tissue and that they fit well.

Pesephone Tue 05-Jul-11 15:53:37

I agree its the fit that matters. i'd go to Bravissimo to get fitted personally, the old +4" method ios grossly wrong. As has been said above you need to ensure it does not press on your breast tissue. i too switched to regular bras with each of my 3 after the first few months and i have found the best method is as Truthsweet described, or to actually Dr your bras to make them drop cup. I cut the straps and sewed on nursing clips from all my old knackard out soft cups and the strat retainers too. Another one which I find works is Freya's Deco bra it is a moulded cup plunge and it is so plungy I can just pull the cp to the side and my breast flips right out. smile very handy. plus it gives a fantastic upfront round shape and shockingly good cleavage wink

Pesephone Tue 05-Jul-11 15:54:40

strat retainers? eh uh um, that should read strap retainers.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now