Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At the end of my BFing tether! Nipple shields?

(14 Posts)
KWright Mon 04-Jul-11 19:01:44

My DD is 4 weeks old and by some miracle I'm still BF. My nipples are in severe distress. I've tried Lasinoh, nipple protectors, walking about the house topless and I've bought/read/watched every leaflet, book and dvd on how to latch on properly. At each feed it feels lyk my DD is sucking glass through my nipple. At best the pain's toe-curling, at worst I cry. I really don't know how much more I can take. The problem seems to be that my nipples are far too big for her teeny tiny mouth.

As a last resort I've started using nipple shields. The beginning of the feed is as agonising as ever, but the pain does ease off. However, the nipple shields have lost the greasy coating they first had and now they stick to my nipple, which is excruciating having to peel them off after a feed - like ripping off a plaster! Anyone else have this problem?

coldcomfortHeart Mon 04-Jul-11 19:44:01

Crikey lots of intensely painful descriptions in there! Sounds horrendous.

In the short term, maybe a bit of lansinoh in the nipple shield to stop it sticking?

In the longer term, you need to get to the bottom of why it is so sore. Have you had her latch (and her mouth, for things like tongue tie) looked at by someone who knows what they're doing (bf counsellor, or infant feeding coordinator, phone your local postnatal ward and ask if they have one)?

Well done for continuing for so long- 4 weeks is ages when it's that tough.

inspireme Mon 04-Jul-11 20:02:38

I'm having similar problems and my LO is only 6 days old, so don't know if i'll last as as long as u.

The m/w checked my technique in hospital and said it's perfect so I just assumed that it was just the nipples getting used to it,but maybe there is a further problem. I'm using lasinoh too but haven't seen any changes.

Sorry I have no advice but will be watching to see what other people say.

crikeybadger Mon 04-Jul-11 20:06:43

Does the pain continue during and after the feed Kwright?

If so, it could be thrush.

Here's some info about different types of nipples pain which may be of help.

The thing with nipple shields is that they don't actually solve the latch problem (although they might offer temporary relief). Not sure what to do about them sticking tbh, does a little bit of water help?

If the nipples are cracked you could try jelonet dressing available from a pharmacy.

Well done for getting this far though- it sounds really painful.

LunaticFringe Mon 04-Jul-11 20:10:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JollySergeantJackrum Mon 04-Jul-11 20:10:10

Have you tried using different kinds of nipple shields? I find the MAM ones available on amazon to be the best.

MigGril Mon 04-Jul-11 20:27:05

I would seconed specking to some one trained in BF support. Unfortunatly this offten isn't your midwife or HV (although there are some good ones out there).

Try one of the helpline no's
National Breastfeeding Helpline
0300 100 0212

The Breastfeeding Network Supporterline
0300 100 0210

NCT Breastfeeding Helpline
0300 330 0771

La Leche League Helpline
0845 120 2918

Association of Breastfeeding Mothers
08444 122 949

We're trained to not really recomend nipple sheilds as once the latch is right the nipples will heal without having to use anything to protect the nipple. Plus they can as you've found be painfull to use.

I hope you get some good support
Good luck

SnarkHunter Mon 04-Jul-11 22:52:41

Would definitely recommend that you see a trained BF councellor. I found BF very painful at first, but it got better after about 6 weeks. I found that these were helpful things in the early days.

Breast shells, to stop things chaffing. I don't think you are meant to wear them for long stretches of time, but meant I could get to shops and back without rubbing.

Changing BF positions, sometimes feeding lying down, sometimes "rugby" hold, as well as the traditional BF hold. I think this helped me work out which positions felt most comfy for us both.

My DD would not open her mouth very wide, and a HV gave me a tip of tickling DD top lip with my nipple before the feed to get her to open her mouth really wide before she latched on. I think this was key to resolving the issue for me.

Really hope things go well for you and your DD and that you find someone who can give you good support.

KeepOnSwimming Tue 05-Jul-11 09:02:05

My nipples are too big as well and thanks to the fab advice on this forum over the past few days I've mastered the "Nipple Flip" aka "flipple" aka "enhanced attachment".

It works! Can't believe it - but there was no way my poor little 7 day old could get my nipple in her mouth properly, but with this technique she can! My nipples are already starting to heal and I only found this yesterday/day before...

users.iptelecom.net.ua/~vylkas/kinolatch.html animation

Leaflet: www.sunderland.nhs.uk/admin/mopil/pdf/20060405104105.pdf

These were given on another thread and really help

Incapinka Tue 05-Jul-11 09:07:04

Hi. I had thrush at 3 weeks. Oh my God. The pain was like you describe. Razor blades being sucked through my nipples. They were super sensitive too as in couldn't have a towel resting on them following a shower. If this sounds familiar see your doctor asap and ask for oral treatment as well as topical. X

crikeybadger Tue 05-Jul-11 12:38:21

Yes, it was the reference to glass which made me think it was thrush too Incapinka .

How are you feeling today OP?

KWright Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:33

Thanks ladies! My nipple shields are in the bin. Waiting to hear back from a lactation nurse today. Pretty sure it's thrush but def having problems with correct latch too.

Never heard of the flipple! Def going to try it when DD wakes up. Searched and found this video link from another thread.

http://vimeo.com/13267722

KWright Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:35

Thanks ladies! My nipple shields are in the bin. Waiting to hear back from a lactation nurse today. Pretty sure it's thrush but def having problems with correct latch too.

Never heard of the flipple! Def going to try it when DD wakes up. Searched and found this video link from another thread.

http://vimeo.com/13267722

crikeybadger Tue 05-Jul-11 13:37:55

smile Great news that you've got a plan of action, hope things get sorted out soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now