Talk

Advanced search

slow feeder

(6 Posts)
moominsr Mon 04-Jul-11 00:14:16

My second born is a very slow feeder and only drinks half a bottle at a time. Has anyone got any advice as to how I can speed things up a bit and or encourage him to drink a whole bottle at a time? I started mix feeding but now only botttle feed. By both methods he drinks very slowly and not a full amount. thanks

tattyteddy Mon 04-Jul-11 08:34:12

Hello,

What bottles are you using, could you change up to the next teet? My dd can sometimes be a slow drinker, I think it just depends on her mood! I'm sure I've heard that it's normal for some babies to have a break whilst having their bottle. Xx

tiktok Mon 04-Jul-11 09:20:49

This is normal, moominsr, for babies at any age....just as grown ups are 'allowed' to put their knife and fork down to have a break before resuming, and not to eat the whole meal if not hungry for it, babies can do this too smile

It's quite important for bottle fed babies to 'pace' their feeding in this way, and not to be 'speeded up' - trying to get them to have more than they want at any time, and to resist normal breaks is not a good thing.

Your HV - if she is any good wink - will confirm this smile

moominsr Mon 04-Jul-11 11:59:35

thanks for getting back to me. i guess i have to persevere. I have already tried the next size teats

tiktok Mon 04-Jul-11 12:05:41

No.....don't persevere smile
Enjoy the feeding and the breaks in the middle of the bottle, and let your baby set the pace smile

RitaMorgan Mon 04-Jul-11 12:33:22

I would just let him feed little and often and take breaks if he wants too. Eating too much, too quickly is something a lot of overweight adults have to un-learn, so you don't want to deliberately teach it to a baby. You do have to be careful with bottles that you don't overfeed them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now