Talk

Advanced search

Muslim women and breast feeding

(7 Posts)
Loobyloo1902 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:19:41

This is just a curious query but do the more coyly dressed Muslim women BF in public? I'm not looking for too many details, just curious about how they do it...

Anyone?

RitaMorgan Sun 03-Jul-11 21:28:21

Lots of muslim mums near me breastfeed at toddler groups.

winnybella Sun 03-Jul-11 21:29:55

Yes, I see lots at the children's park.

Chaotica Sun 03-Jul-11 21:38:04

Common here too.

I also found it easier to bf in public in a mainly muslim country than here.

KD0706 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:48:17

My mum used to live in Palestine and she says the women over there bf in public as a matter of course. It sounds from what she says like they are much more tolerant of it over there than they are in the uk (or I suppose more accurately, than some people in the uk)

VeronicaCake Sun 03-Jul-11 21:51:04

Yes. One of the first times I breastfed in public a Muslim woman wearing a niqaab stopped me to say how nice it was to see a baby breastfeeding and she'd breastfed all 3 of hers, and loved the fact it was so convenient to feed them whenever they needed to be fed.

In Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding she mentions how in countries where a woman having her hair or even face uncovered in public is frowned upon public breastfeeding is still acceptable. Which shows how culturally specific our hang-ups about breastfeeding in public are.

Loobyloo1902 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:48:50

That's all really interesting, thanks to everyone that took the time to post.

LL x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now