Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Advice about introducing bottle of EBM to exclusively BF baby, please.

(7 Posts)
JoyceBarnaby Sun 03-Jul-11 21:00:09

DD is 4 weeks old on Tuesday and is exclusively BF. When I fed my DS, I didn't introduce a bottle until 3 months and he was having none of it. By the time he was 6mo, I gave up trying and accepted he would never have a bottle!

I only want to be able to give the occasional bottle of EBM for a bit of respite and I intend on BFing DD for a year, like I did DS. I know some mums who have successfully introduced a bottle of EBM at 4-6 weeks, so I'm guessing my window of opportunity is nigh. But would I be better off giving a bottle of EBM daily?

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated!!

RitaMorgan Sun 03-Jul-11 21:04:58

I gave a bottle once or twice a week from about 4 weeks to 4 months, then one daily from 4 months to 8 months. Every baby is different though, some would happily accept a bottle for the first time at 3 months, some would have a bottle every day and then reject it suddenly. DS became a bottle refuser at 10 months hmm

JoyceBarnaby Sun 03-Jul-11 21:18:00

Thanks, Rita. If only DD could tell me what sort of baby she will be!! She is a much better feeder than DS (or I am better at it now!) so I'm hoping this will translate to bottles!! It's good to be optimistic, no?!!

When you started at 4 weeks, how much did you put in a bottle? Did you only express once or twice a week? I'm fairly confident with expressing (esp after expressing LOADS for DD in SCBU) but I wonder if I'd need to express every day to maintain supply?

RitaMorgan Sun 03-Jul-11 21:19:52

I used formula as I'm no good at expressing, but he had an oz at a time at most. It was just to get him used to bottles rather than to replace a feed.

JoyceBarnaby Sun 03-Jul-11 21:30:07

Yes, I suppose that's my main goal at this stage. I can express an oz now without any practice, so I guess I can start with that!

Thanks.

Zipitydoda Sun 03-Jul-11 21:49:44

My DS is also 4 weeks and EBF. I gave him his first bottle last week, I managed to express 2oz and got my DH to feed him. He took it readily but the flow was a bit faster than my breasts and he struggled to keep up a bit but since then has had a couple more bottles and taken them well - I expressed 5oz yesterday in 5 mins after having a much needed lie-in and only waking because my breasts were bursting!
I have done similar with my other 2 DCs and never had a problem with them rejecting boobs or bottles. However my sister's DD did reject bottles after having had them for a while. She is now 14 months and still BF won't take a bottle or milk in a cup.

flowerfairy Sun 03-Jul-11 22:44:00

When iwe had ds we introduced a bottle about 5-6weeks of bm and then daily 9more often than not) when dh got home from work and when i wentout of an evening. Think i missed the same window of opportunity with dd who is just useless at sucking on a bottle, due back to work in a week and am just hoping that maybe she will twig this is her only option while i am away. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: