BF, periods, libido and pregnancy!(5 Posts)
I have been BF for one year now, and still feed around 4 times a day. Me and DD still both very much enjoy BF and I really don't want to stop just yet.
However, I have not had a period since I got pregnant, and have a very low libido. I also suffer from vaginal dryness and pain, possibly (probably) as a result of low oestrogen because of BF.
Me and OH have not had intercourse since DD was born. We do other stuff, but obviously this is not brill for either of us. We do talk about it and he is obviously very understanding and supportive, but I can understand him getting a tad frustrated now!
I have been to consultant and got oestrogen cream, which helps with dryness, but not pain or getting periods back.
a few questions I would be very grateful if others who have been in a simiar situation could answer:
1) Should I be concerned yet about lack of periods?
2) How likely is it that I could get pregnant again (am 34 now and ideally would like to get pg by Nov/Dec time).
3) Are dryness/pain/libido likely to still be affected by BF hormones, or are they possibly more psychological/caused by vaginismus?
Thank you all in advance!
I got my first period at about 7 months, i think a year is also normal though. Before I got my period I had low libido, dryness etc as soon as my period came back that all vanished. Feeding 4-6 times a day at 10 months, one careless episode and I got pregnant. So I wouldn't be concerned, you can get pregnant and the symptoms coukd be due to lack of periods etc due to feeding
Same for me. I bf-d my DS to 6 months but started to introduce FF at 5 months and ramped down slowly. He is now 8 months old.
I've had 1 period 4 weeks ago.
It's only been in the last few days that I've felt remotely like I "want" to have sex. I have vaginismus which makes things fun too. But it does feel like it's improving now. I also feel alot better having stopped bf-ing. Which is I guess hormone related as well as having more energy because DS is not taking his 3-500 cals from me each day.
Not that this would have stopped me bf-ing him - which I loved doing - but I'm 34 (35 in 3 days) and also want to try to get pg at the end of this year. So I'd say:
1. Your periods may not come back until you stop bf-ing fully. So it's up to you to balance BF-ing with wanting next baby. Some people do get periods back while still EBF, so it could happen for you. Depends how important the Nov/Dec target is.
2. No idea
3. Personally I think loss of libido can be linked to BF-ing. It's your body's way of saying "concentrate on this baby, don't start trying to make another while this one needs your milk" Self preservation too as it must take alot out of you to feed one baby while being pg with the next. Not that I'm saying you can't do it!.
Tough call to make though esp if you are happy to continue bf-ing - good luck
Thank you both - I realise now the question about likeliness of getting pregnant is a bit daft - no-one is clairvoyant! That's what happens when you post in the small wee hours.
I think I will try cutting back on some feeds and see if that helps slightly. Nice to know I am not alone, though.
I think mine came back about 14 months so you are probably not far off them coming back anyway, my DS was a big feeder aswell, I didn't feel uber sexy at that time but think it was more to do with tiredness and feeling run down, this continued after I stopped feeding at 3 years. I only felt better when I started taking supplements and iron tablets and got more sleep. I get more pain during sex now (5 years on) than I did then although not sure why really. My consultant said get loads of lube.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.