Talk

Advanced search

Cluster feeding?

(9 Posts)
booberella Fri 01-Jul-11 22:58:18

I have just had my first DD and am very new to breastfeeding! baby is only 5 days old and for the last few nights, starting around 8pm she just wants to feed constantly. she falls asleep on the breast so I think she will go down but then 20 mins or so later she will be awake and wanting more food. the other night it lasted from 8pm until about 9am and I am exhausted! at the midwife appointment today she was very happy with her progress as she's not lost any weight from her birth weight and seems to be feeding well.
I'm hoping it is just a phase and eventually she may actually go to sleep in between feeds! has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know when this phase is likely to pass?

HollyFP Fri 01-Jul-11 23:03:52

Congrats on your new baby smile

Oh yes I remember the days of cluster feeding well...yes it's totally normal. Breast milk is v easily digested so she needs to feed frequently. Can you co-sleep? Makes bf much easier in the night.

Kellymom has lots of info on this, can't link from my phone but you will find it from google.

Just keep feeding on demand, don't let anyone tell you otherwise smile
It will get less intense but only your DD knows when wink

HollyFP Fri 01-Jul-11 23:07:51

Also try getting more milk down her during the day, it might help fill her up a bit by the end of the day.
Newborns don't know the difference between day and night, they 'learn' it; hence your DD feeding all night. It takes a little while for them to learn what nighttime is.

twinklegreen Fri 01-Jul-11 23:09:16

It is a phase, and is completely normal! In fact it's a really good sign that your baby is healthy and knows what she wants!

I can't comment on how long it lasts, I can't really remember (have had three, so really should remember!). BUT she will eventually go for longer between feeds over the first 4 months or so.

My first child cluster fed like mad, really like mad!! for the first few weeks but she has been my best sleeper, so it was worth it in the end smile

booberella Fri 01-Jul-11 23:34:23

thanks guys, it's good to know it's normal! we've been trying to wake her in the day at least every two hours to feed and try and get her full up- i haven't had to today she's been ready every hour and a half herself!
at the risk of sounding really stupid, what is co-sleeping?

HollyFP Fri 01-Jul-11 23:38:19

Co-sleeping is where you have DD sleep in bed with you, when she wants a feed you don't have to get up, just bring her closer grin
Defo recommend that or bedside crib for as long as poss, certainly first few months.

twinklegreen Fri 01-Jul-11 23:59:56

I second the co-sleeping! Makes life/sleep alot easier, as long as you do it safely smile

crikeybadger Sat 02-Jul-11 08:27:58

Here's an article by Elizabeth Pantley about co-sleeping and how to do it safely.

It certainly was a life safer for me - especially when I could feed lying down - then I could doze while DS fed, fed, fed.

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 02-Jul-11 09:46:34

Boobarella, my dd is 20 days old. She is my second baby.
DD has been cluster feeding as well, but she is cutting down on it now. So it does get easier! See it as an opportunity for a sit down and to watch telly.
We co-sleep, with the aid of a co-sleeper cot and it does make life a lot easier!
Remember she spent 9 mths inside you, getting her nutrition constantly so she is still adjusting to getting fed more on an ad hoc basis.
Some of it will be for comfort - let her! Her needs are very simple, she wants to be fed, to sleep, to be warm, to be clean but most of all to be close to you smile
Well done for getting this far, and it does get easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now