Talk

Advanced search

Stopped BFing, v engorged, advice?

(8 Posts)
fifitot Fri 01-Jul-11 21:19:46

Help! Have weaned my 12m old onto a bottle. I was only doing 1 BF a night but since stopping this one feed have still got very engorged - but only on one side! It's hard but not red and not that sore.. My question is should I express a bit just to rede uce the engorgement? Or wait it out until it goes back to normal? Scared of Mastitis.

organiccarrotcake Fri 01-Jul-11 21:20:47

If you can express just enough for comfort, that should be enough to slowly reduce your supply and avoid mastitis.

fifitot Fri 01-Jul-11 21:40:00

OK thanks. Wonder how long before supply stops?

organiccarrotcake Fri 01-Jul-11 22:04:30

At 12 months, very hard to say, but I would expect it to get comfortable within a week or so. You may be able to express some drops of milk for a long time, though!

organiccarrotcake Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:23

BTW keep a very close eye out for blocked ducts. Work on relieving those as a priority over reducing milk supply.

fifitot Sat 02-Jul-11 08:27:45

thanks again. how will I unblock the ducts?

organiccarrotcake Sat 02-Jul-11 08:52:56

Well, if you do get any (and you may not) the usual way is to keep the breast drained (which isn't ideal if you're trying to slow milk production but better than mastitis). Gentle breast massage over the blocked duct will help clear it. Gently rub your thumb, or your knuckles, whatever feels right, down over the duct in the direction towards the nipple. Doing this in the shower while warm water flows over can help, as well as while expressing.

Here's a full info sheet:

www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

fifitot Sat 02-Jul-11 09:13:05

Thanks very much for all of your help. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now