Talk

Advanced search

have i got mastitis?

(5 Posts)
stegasaurus Fri 01-Jul-11 20:11:03

I woke up this morning with a headache but just took a couple of paracetamol and got on with the day. Over the last few hours I have become freezing cold and shivery and feel awful. Breasts hurt most of the time anyway, including when not feeding, which I thought was due to poor latch. Went to breastfeeding group this morning and DD fed perfectly for once so they couldn't advise me on how to improve it. Just noticed red area stretching from areola on about quarter of right breast. Does this sound like mastitis or not? If so, what can I do? Do I need antibiotics? It's Friday evevning so no GP and I'm sure it doesn't need A&E. Can I wait until GP open on Monday? DD seems very unsettled this evening. Would whatever is wrong with me affect her or she just coincidentally miserable? All I want to do is huddle under the duvet in a jumper, but will have be getting up to feed throughout the night. After 10 weeks I am discovering that mummy can't be ill!

Shelbee Fri 01-Jul-11 20:18:45

Hello, yes this does sound very much like mastitis to me. You probably do need antibiotics if you are shivery and feeling so unwell - I would call your out of hours doctor or NHS Direct to see what they recommend. Dont leave it until Monday as you dont want it to get worse. Good luck and hope you feel much better soon.

dogsagoodun Fri 01-Jul-11 20:21:48

It does sound like it could be. Is there a hard lump too? The most important thing is to keep feeding, particularly from the sore side. You should soon feel the pain (and lump if there is one) subside. If the symptoms are still there in the morning (so if you have had them for more than twelve hours) then yes go to OOH tomorrow. DD feeling unsettled is prob just coincidence or she may just be picking up on you not feeling yourself. Mastitis is horrible. Try to stay warm and keep feeding! You have my sympathies.
PS. After ten weeks it really should not be hurting. Have you got more info on why you think a bad latch?

stegasaurus Fri 01-Jul-11 20:46:54

sad I wanted you to tell me everything will be ok. We have to go to a family party tomorrow not be ill.

dogs I had to feed her with nipple shields due to flat nipples. I know they are frowned upon but I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed without them. Anyway, she has suddenly worked out how to feed without them but probably doesn't always latch on corectly.

dogsagoodun Fri 01-Jul-11 21:12:27

It probably will be okay by tomorrow. Mastitis is horrible but is usually short lived as long as handled properly. You may not need the antibiotics as they are only to fight off any infection that it may have caused, and that infection should not even set in as long as you can feed it away tonight. I have had it three times and each time have felt perfectly okay again after eight hours or so.

There will be more experienced people on here than me to advise you about nipple shields if you feel you need some advice.

Really hope you feel okay in the morning. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now