Talk

Advanced search

FFS this woman fancies herself as Jeremy Clarkson

(133 Posts)
HarrietJones Thu 30-Jun-11 16:56:26

here

belgo Thu 30-Jun-11 16:59:08

She hasn't got a clue.

And what on earth is Myleene Klass talking about the breastapo? Did she make that word up?

HettyAmaretti Thu 30-Jun-11 17:05:46

plenty of results on google for breastapo hmm Never hear / seen the term myslef.

I shan't waste words on the author of the article in question.

belgo Thu 30-Jun-11 17:16:55

yes I was giving Myleene Klass far too much credit when I suggested she may have invented the word.

HettyAmaretti Thu 30-Jun-11 17:17:44

indeed!

prettybird Thu 30-Jun-11 18:42:46

She makes fun of the idea of a "male lactation consultant": yet, when I went to my ante-natal breastfeeding workshop (voluntarily by the way - there was no pessure to anntend), one of the key indicatators for successful breast feeinf was the support of the partner So it actually makes sense for a guy to be able to see it from a make perspective. Of course he can't actaully do it - but he can explore ways in which the guys cansupport their partners if they are struggling.

FWIW, although I believe passionately in the value of breastfeeding, I never dared even ask how people fed their babies (where I live, the feeding rates past a fortnight, let alone 6 weeks, are abysmal) for fear of being seen to be judgemental for even asking. And to say I managed to feed ds for 13 months, despite massive initial difficulties, well, even saying that would be seen as "Breastapo-ish" sad

I ended up just staying away from new babies that were brought in to the office. That way, I couldn't say anything that would offend sad

prettybird Thu 30-Jun-11 18:43:41

"... from a male perspective..." blush

tiktok Thu 30-Jun-11 19:11:04

Would she laugh at the idea of a female urologist or a male midwife or a male obstetrician?

She's not doing Cumbria any favours with regard to 21st century views, is she?

SarahScot Thu 30-Jun-11 19:23:14

What a total knob that woman is.

Nuff said.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 30-Jun-11 20:18:05

WHat utter nobbery. Thank god the comments show more sense than the article (or at least the first page do...didn't go beyond there!)

Tabitha8 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:18:46

And she asks if it doesn't just come naturally? For her information, no, some of us needed to be shown how to do it.

HarrietJones Thu 30-Jun-11 20:32:39

The paper itself is a bit of a cross between Daily Mail & the Sun so it's not known for informative articles...

TittyBojangles Thu 30-Jun-11 20:41:25

Frustrating though as this will be lots of people's only exposure to the bf festival. Not that it's something everyone would want/need to attend, but some positive local press coverage in response to this article might help redress the balance. Not that I particularly think she deserves a response.

I will be going to a couple of the events so she hasn't put me off grin

HarrietJones Thu 30-Jun-11 20:51:00

Ooh are you local titty?

HarrietJones Thu 30-Jun-11 20:51:24

I actually got this from the bf festival!

TittyBojangles Thu 30-Jun-11 21:03:49

Localish yes. Dragging a couple of friends along too I think. smile

TittyBojangles Thu 30-Jun-11 21:04:18

Unless this silly woman has put them off of course!

pettyprudence Thu 30-Jun-11 21:37:55

Oh dear lord this article has sent my bp through the roof! What terrible journalism, writing, ignorant, ill-informed opinions. ARgghhhhhhh have to go out and vent.

tiktok Fri 01-Jul-11 13:13:14

I see there are 40 odd comments on the site - I bet the newspaper never gets that many usually! Most of them are pretty good, too smile

northnorthwest Fri 01-Jul-11 14:06:42

I have just joined Mumsnet but I am really shocked at the nastiness of some of you - who probably pride themselves on being nice mothers. This columnist has just written a comment about a breastfeeding festival. She doesn't say anything nasty and she doesn't say that people shouldn't breastfeed. Have a look at the festival website and a lot of the events do appear to be silly. I am breastfeeding my second child. But I prefer not to do it in public. Yes its completely natural but so are a lot of things. I wouldn't change my baby's nappy on a table in a restaurant. The people saying horrible things like "knob" are really unpleasant and you give this website a bad name. I hope the other people on this site aren't as stupid. If they are I won't be a Mumsnet member for very long.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 01-Jul-11 14:11:11

If you feel that this is a particularly vitriolic thread and require less swearing in your everyday forum experience, then I too suspect that you won't be a member for very long.

And nappies aren't completely natural, incidentally.

northnorthwest Fri 01-Jul-11 14:17:23

I didn't say nappies are 'completely natural', I was referring to the fact that, as well as feeding, my baby also produces natural waste - but that I would give my baby the privacy of dealing with that away from other people's eyes.

Anyway, what "natural" product do you use, instead of a nappy?

Clearly you were just being obtuse.

I do still question the need for people to use offensive language on forums. It's very poor form and highly unintelligent.

chloesbaby Fri 01-Jul-11 14:27:34

northnorthwest - how do you manage to not feed your baby in public? Unless you stay in all the time it would be very difficult to avoid public feeding.

And it hardly needs to be pointed out there is a massive difference between feeding and pooing! Of course you wouldn't change a nappy on a restaurant table because it is unhygienic! - breastfeeding is completely different!

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 01-Jul-11 14:35:16

I knew you'd pick up on that part, but the important part of my post was really the first paragraph. You may question our intelligence all you choose, but to wander into a new forum and criticise an ingrained part of its culture is really the height of rudeness. Suffice it to say, I doubt anyone will be persuaded to change their posting style in order to keep you.

pettyprudence Fri 01-Jul-11 14:37:23

northnorthwest how on earth can you compare baby poo with baby food? If I eat at a table so does my baby.

Please feel free to show me a remotely positive or even neutral comment in the article.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now