Talk

Advanced search

Is Myleene Klass right about breastfeeding "breastapo";?

(8 Posts)
northnorthwest Thu 30-Jun-11 16:03:15

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/home/2.4887/i-d-breast-give-this-festival-a-miss-1.852643?referrerPath=home

peanutdream Thu 30-Jun-11 16:09:44

i don't like the use of the word 'breastapo'

i think it IS about women's choice (although ideally we would all be ABLE to choose, where in reality, some are forced, through rubbish support, to ff)

i think the actual article is a load of pants and this woman knows not what she is on about

RitaMorgan Thu 30-Jun-11 16:21:56

That's one of the most stupid articles on breastfeeding I've ever read. EW BOOBS ARE GROSS.

How is a Breastfeeding festival forcing anyone to do anything? If you don't like it don't go.

CamperFan Thu 30-Jun-11 20:36:04

I don't like "breastapo" either, and I have never in my life met anyone who would even vaguely deserve that title. However, I think Myleene states a valid point - all of us who bf, do so for our family, not because someone else thinks we should.

But the article in general, apart from the Melanie Mackay one earlier this year, or whatever her name was, is the biggest pile of bullshit I have read since ...well, since the other one anyway. Unfortunately there seem to be far too many of these articles, with hapless, no skills "writers" jumping on the bandwagon, spewing out a pile of embarrassing drivel. I can't believe the actual tone of her article either - pouring scorn on lactation consultants and breastfeeding support groups. Sorry, but she's being a complete cow (or would that be me as I'm bfing?!) and I would love to be a fly on the wall if she ever tried to bf and found that it wasn't something that came naturally after all.

And whoever does any photocopying in the library these days? Gah!

itsastrawpoll Thu 30-Jun-11 20:39:55

I wouldn't norally say this about anyone, but I do think this is a form of disingeneous boasting from her.

You do it for your family? Great. Shut up then. You don't have to talk about it. I know you're a rent-a-gob but you don't have to sell every aspect of your life to the media.

I think she wants us to know she breastfeeds, for extra saintlyhood points, but doesn't want to seem like she's boasting about it.

Just my opinion, of course. BUt I've read articles where she's been very defensive or explained a lot about her working arrangements and it strikes me that she's trying to redress the balance publically by lettting everyone know she breastfeeds.

itsastrawpoll Thu 30-Jun-11 20:44:35

Oops, sorry, I'm thick, thought the link was to Myleene Klass' article about breastfeeding a few weeks ago!

pinkytheshrinky Thu 30-Jun-11 20:48:02

Myleene Claas is right about everything - we must remember she is the only woman to have ever had two children.....

Silly bloody cow and for some reason just cannot warm to her - I suspect this is a tacit boast from her as she strikes me as DEEPLY DEEPLY smug

Apparently breastfeeding doesn't mean you cannot be a tosser too

itsastrawpoll Thu 30-Jun-11 20:52:17

Ok, I've read the article in the OP now.

Agree it's total bollocks!

I had problems breastfeeding both of my children, for various reasons, and although I soldiered on for months - and to the journo who wrote this article: YES, I did need 'lessons' and YES, I did need support. NO, it's nothing like trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

I've had two very tricky breastfeeding relationships - one which led to hospitalisation for massive weight loss and the other was a tongue tie which wasn't diagnossed until four months.

For some (a lot!) of us, breastfeeding is HARD! And what makes it harder still is people belittling how hard it is to be successful at it.

I did have a GOOD laugh at her big scoop being an interview with the mother of triplets though! Not much of a journalist, clearly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now