Talk

Advanced search

Different tasting formulas ???

(4 Posts)
minibmw2010 Thu 30-Jun-11 05:58:47

My DS (nearly 6 weeks) was on SMA Gold and wolfed it down but I felt it gave him some tummy problems as when hd tried to go he looked in real pain so we switched to Aptimil over a week ago. He seems to find going easier and is pretty regular too which is good but he definitely doesn't seem to like the taste as I'm struggling to get full feeds into him.

Has anyone else had this? I gave him some water on Monday (only 5 mls) to help with the heat and he took it easily so I'm wondering should I have stayed with SMA but just given water to deal with straining etc.

alitesneeze Thu 30-Jun-11 22:52:56

Hi mini I posted on another thread of yours re feeding your baby and I hope things are going well smile

Does your ds seem to physically dislike the taste, or is it just cos he won't take a full 5 oz in one sitting? As far as I know you shouldn't need to give additional water as the formula amounts are worked out so each feed has enough to hydrate baby too (although I may be wrong but neither of my two ever needed extra water). If you get him weighed and he's gaining well he may just not be needing as much at the moment?

Some formulas do taste different to each other - have tasted them much to my dh's horror! - so I guess it is possible. In my experience tho babies don't notice a difference in taste.

I have no idea whether any of my rambling above is of any use to you blush

minibmw2010 Fri 01-Jul-11 03:26:44

Hi alite, yes you were helpful thanks. Since we went completely to formula things have been much better thanks. I've stopped beating myself up about that. The water was due to the heat and how I felt he was over-heating but I see your point. It may be no bad thing that it takes him longer as it was almost like he had no stop button with previous formula but I guess this one just fills him up quicker/better. Anyway weigh day later today ... smile

alitesneeze Fri 01-Jul-11 21:00:06

I'm in Scotland, coping warm sunny days isn't somthing I know much about grin

I am really glad you arent beating yourself up about switching to formula. There is absolutely no reason to (not that that usually stops us!) Hope the weigh in went well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now