Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Coping with bf and 19 month old?

(7 Posts)
FessaEst Wed 29-Jun-11 19:06:45

I am due in a few weeks, and beginning to think about how I will cope with bfing a newborn and keeping my very energetic toddler entertained if it takes a while. Any tips?

I have bought an aquadoodle travel kit, so am looking for ideas of similar - stuff she can sit with me and do, but not need me to move around too much. She's not much into tv, tough i keep trying grin and have bought some dvd's etc. She quite likes books but they don't hold her attention for long. Would love to hear how others have coped.

EauRouge Wed 29-Jun-11 19:19:15

Get a sling and learn to BF in it (I still haven't mastered this, DD1 does like TV grin ). Some mums find that having a box of toys or interesting things that they get out when the baby needs feeding can help. Sticker books are brilliant, have you tried them with your DD?

FessaEst Wed 29-Jun-11 19:55:13

I never mastered bfing in a sling with DD - though used my moby loads for everything else - will have to work harder at it! I haven't tried stickers yet, as not sure she would understand limiting them to a book - can just see stickers on every surface/the dog/the new baby etc!! Am going to start stockpiling books that just come out when I'm feeding - maybe I'll have a special bag or something.

japhrimel Wed 29-Jun-11 21:32:50

I've always found a Babasling/ring-type sling to be best for easy feeding. I never managed it in my Close carrier, which is similar to a Moby in positions you use I think.

FessaEst Wed 29-Jun-11 21:43:38

Thanks, have got a babasling but found carrying DD in it uncomfortable, so not sure I ever tried feeding in it - will get it out and have it ready!

mawbroon Wed 29-Jun-11 21:47:26

I never mastered feeding in a sling with ds1, but when it came to surviving it with ds2, I soon learned!! grin

I used an Ergo with the baby insert. I only used this because it was what I had when ds1 got older and I decided to give it a try before buying anything else, and it happened to work for us. I know that there are probably much better slings for the job.

ds2 is 16months and I still feed him in the sling if need be. If you can make it work, it's a total lifesaver for carrying on with everyday life with an older child.

AngelDog Wed 29-Jun-11 22:17:58

Try a treasure basket - google 'heuristic play' for ideas.

You could get her a doll to look after too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now